Processor Listed Twice in Device Manager

bek

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003

I did a repair install of Windows XP Home SP2 recently and have
continued to have periodic blue screens since. Today I noticed in Device
Manager there are two instances of the processor, P4 3.4G, listed. I only
have one processor and both listings are completely identical.

Is is safe for me to delete one of these processor listings and could
this have been the cause of my blue screens?

Thanks for any help you can give.

BEK

map

BEK wrote:
> I did a repair install of Windows XP Home SP2 recently and have
> continued to have periodic blue screens since. Today I noticed in
> Device Manager there are two instances of the processor, P4 3.4G,
> listed. I only have one processor and both listings are completely
> identical.
>
> Is is safe for me to delete one of these processor listings and
> could this have been the cause of my blue screens?
>
> Thanks for any help you can give.
>
> BEK

The second processor is for hyperthreading,(it really isn't there).
What error code is displayed with the BSOD?
http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php

If you really want to uninstall the second processor do it in the BIOS,but I
suggest that you leave it alone.

--
Mike Pawlak