$100 card to beat Intel 82865G Extreme------------

firebirdude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004
At my work, we currently have four computers on a LAN that are used mostly for gaming. They all have 2.5G P4 CPUs, 1G DDR400 RAM and 40G 7200RPM HDs. Ironically enough, they are using integrated graphics. Intel Extreme 82865G to be exact. UT2004 and C&C Generals are the two most popular games. With all settings at their lowest, the PCs play these games sub-par. Any slower and Generals would be unplayable. Anyway, I'm going to convince the higher-ups that new video cards are a must. I know they're not going to spend much. I'd like to tell them $500 for all four cards. And I'm sure this will be the last upgrade these PCs get for years. Recommendations for this price range? Also, if I could squeeze $700 out of them, what say you now?

AMD 2800+ (Barton Core)
Asus A7N8X
2 X 512MB Mushkin RAM
Sapphire ATI 9800PRO

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
Don't know much about the hardware but I'd like to ask you if these mobo's have AGP slots or not?

If not you will have to try and find a PCI solution.

The loving are the daring!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Like the last post said, you really need to find out whether AGP slots are present (the chipset supports them, but many boards omit the slot itself).

A Radeon 9600 would be a fine, inexpensive AGP card with passive cooling (no fan to wear out). If you're limited to PCI...start looking hard for some old Radeon 9100 PCI cards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

firebirdude

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2004
Oops. Sorry. Yes. Intel D865PESO mobo's. They all have 8X non-pro AGP slots. Also, I noticed they also have a tiny power supply. Sparkle 250W. Think this will cause some problems? Thanks for the replies so far guys.:)

AMD XP 3200+ (Barton Core)
Asus A7N8X Ver2.0
2 X 512MB Mushkin RAM
Sapphire ATI 9800PRO

R9600 and R9600PRo are rather frugal with power requirements a 250W should be OK, I've heard Sparkle is OK (not bad, not stellar).

I'd suggest the R9600 with passive cooling if you have concerns about long term and power consumption, and the R9600Pro if you want the most bang for your buck, which won't stress your power supply as long as it remain pretty much the same configuration (no faster CPU, no more drives, etc).

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Flinx

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2001
For $700, wait a bit till new cards come out or find a special. Or kick in a few $$$ of your own. hehe. Live dangerously. Take up a collection at the office.

I think the advice on the sticky in this forum is probably appropriate. 9600 Pro, 9800, 6600GT

6600 maybe a power issue though... cutting it close

The loving are the daring!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Flinx on 01/17/05 08:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

agreed the 9600pro/nonpro(either or) will do nicely for ya, and you can get them in the range of 95-115 bux.

"Never underestimate the predictability of Stupidity."
<A HREF="http://www.cameronwilliamson.com" target="_new">-={Psychotic Sociopath.}=-</A>
<font color=blue>R.I.P. O.D.B.</font color=blue>

pauldh

Illustrious
I second the R9600 pro or R9600. Even a R9550 128-bit if on a tight budget $65 each.

<A HREF="http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20030903/integrated_graphics-13.html#unreal_tournament_2003" target="_new">Look</A> how your 9800 pro compares to that Intel Extreme. LOL, 31 times faster isn't too shabby huh? Anyway, consider just how much better a R9550, R9600, R0600 pro is to the Radeon 9200, and you can see just how pitiful that intel Extreme is compared to what you could be using to play at work. :eek:

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>

LOL!

<font color=red>
At my work, we currently have four computers on a LAN that are used mostly for gaming.[/quot]</font color=red>
Learn how to spell 'quote', eh! :tongue:

<font color=purple>"A mind is a terrible thing"</font color=purple> <b>TO FRY</b>! :evil:

Don't you get it? Baked, not Fried! :cool:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
OT:

Oops!

gotta leave it now, typo and all, since you found it so amusing.

Actually, the real quote was of course, "A mind is a terrible thing to waste". A friend I once knew altered the expression to read, "A mind is a terrible thing..." [awkward pause] "to baste". Sometimes he'd use the expression at unexpected times but leaving it hanging without the "to baste". Breaks the ice in meetings every time.

That friend and another co-worker used to change cliche expressions for humorous effect. This is one of my favorites. "Oh what tangled web we weave when first we practice to.. conceive"

<b>A mind is a terrible thing</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sparkle Power is a Fortron Source brand.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Ah ok, so they SUCK then? :wink:

J/K, I knew they were 'good' didn't know they were THAT good, although maybe they're Fortron cast-offs. :tongue:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nah, Sparkle Power is a retail brand, Fortron Source is a manufacturer.