Hercules issues

drummer1998

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2004
I am doing some work on my brother's computer and am trying to install a Hercules 3D Prophet 4000XT 64mb card that I had. I ran it in my machine before with no issues but it will not work on my brothers. He has an FIC AT31 mobo with a 4x AGP slot. The card works with standard drivers but will not work with the Hercules drivers. Has anyone else seen this?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Have you loaded the chipset drivers for the motherboard? Sometimes AGP card drivers don't work when the AGP to PCI bridge isn't installed (chipset driver).

This USED to be a huge problem, most newer drivers have compatability mode...

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

drummer1998

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2004
I thought I had but still get the same result. I have noticed, however, on both my bro's comp and mine that the AGP card shows up in Device Manager as being in a PCI slot. Am I doing something wrong?

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
Yes you are go into your bios by holding the del key as soon as you switch on your machine, then go to graffix pci to agp and save.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, it can be a huge problem, both for performance and stability. Especially with older or less developed drivers it can cause instability.

You need to load your chipset drivers. The chipset drivers contain the driver for the AGP controller and AGP to PCI bridge. Without those you'll have problems with your AGP card.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>