user accounts nightmare

DB

I am running Windows XP home edition.

One of my hard drives crashed/failed a few hours ago, causing major
damage - basically I lost everything in the "My Documents" folder. My
system drive "C" was unaffected so Windows and all other programs are
still running. "My Documents" was on the "D" drive which I have had to
reformat,(don't ask) thus losing everything. Anyway in trying to sort
it out I decided it best to create a new user account and delete the old
one. I created a new user account but was unable to delete the old one.
Thinking this may be because the old account was an "administrator"
account I changed it to "limited" I am now stuck in the old "limited"
account and cannot log off or switch users to the new "administrator"
account. I have been trying for 10 hours without success. Every time I
try to log out of the account it logs me straight back in again, even
after re-booting I don't get the option to choose an account to log
into.

I have used Tweak XP to disable automatic log on which I thought was the
problem

Please can anyone give me a little help here?

db wrote:
> I am running Windows XP home edition.
>
> One of my hard drives crashed/failed a few hours ago,
> causing major damage - basically I lost everything in the
> "My Documents" folder. My system drive "C" was unaffected so
> Windows and all other programs are still running. "My
> Documents" was on the "D" drive which I have had to
> reformat,(don't ask) thus losing everything. Anyway in
> trying to sort it out I decided it best to create a new user
> account and delete the old one. I created a new user account
> but was unable to delete the old one. Thinking this may be
> because the old account was an "administrator" account I
> changed it to "limited" I am now stuck in the old "limited"
> account and cannot log off or switch users to the new
> "administrator" account. I have been trying for 10 hours
> without success. Every time I try to log out of the account
> it logs me straight back in again, even after re-booting I
> don't get the option to choose an account to log into.
> I have used Tweak XP to disable automatic log on which I
> thought was the problem
>
> Please can anyone give me a little help here?

Have you tried starting in Safe Mode?
Reboot your computer.
As soon as the computer restarts, hit the F8 key.
Continue tapping the F8 key until you see a menu with startup
options.
Select Safe Mode.
Hit enter.
Hold down the Shift key.
You should see the Welcome Screen.
Click on the icon for the Administrator account.
You should now be able to make changes to the other accounts.

While in Safe Mode you might want to go to Start -> Run and
enter control userpasswords2 in the Open box. Click OK. Put a
check mark in the box next to "Users must enter a user name and
password to use this computer".

Good luck

Nepatsfan

TRENDING THREADS