Sign in with
Your question

running dual monitors with SLI, how do I do it?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 18, 2005 12:46:40 AM

I just bought a new flat panel, and I have an extra CRT monitor sitting here...so I might as well put it to use. I am running SLI 6800s with an a8n-sli motherboard, using forceware 71.24 beta drivers. I really know nothing about running dual moniters. I've tried looking around, but I really have a hard time finding information on running duals with SLI. Do I plug both monitors into one card or do I plug each monitor into a different card? Either way, I cant get my device manager to see both of my monitors while trying either way. Really any help at all is helpful...because I don't know what I am doing ;) .
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2005 1:17:27 AM

Both to one card. You could try using nView, or, if you just want to extend the desktop onto another monitor, you simply click on that monitor in Diplay Settings and choose the enable option.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
January 18, 2005 6:59:58 PM

windows isnt detecting a second monitor anywhere though, for example in device manager. I can get both of these monitors to work individually. One is a CRT monitor with a VGA male connector and the LCD is the same, VGA with a male connector. This forces me to use a VGA to DVI adapter. How can I get windows to see a second monitor? I've tried each monitor on the VGA and DVI connectors on both cards. Either way, my machine only sees one monitor at a time. I obviously can't tell NVIEW to use a monitor that my system can't even see.

**edit/edition**
i don't know much about running the whole dual monitors, but I can't get either monitor to work out of the DVI slot (both monitors like I said have VGA connectors, not DVIs, so I have to use an adaptor). I also have two adaptors, I've tried both.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dougyfresh on 01/18/05 04:08 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
January 18, 2005 8:29:34 PM

Oh, well, I hate to tell you this, but it's completely possible you have a DVI-D output with a DVI-I connector.

Companies used to put a DVI-D connector on DVI connections that didn't support the adapter (because they didn't carry the analog signals). That way, you couldn't plug the adapter in. And they'd put the DVI-I connector on cards that did carry the analog signal (supporting the adapter).

Unfortunately, some companies felt it was too much effort to keep 2 different types of DVI connectors on hand for their cards, and started putting DVI-I connectors on cards that didn't electrically support the adapter. So on such cards, the adapter fits, but the important pins lead to nowhere.

Saphire was famous for that, leaving only a few parts off the card to make it $5 cheaper...and disabling analog capability for the DVI connection. So I wouldn't be surprised of other companies have done the same.

BTW, I'm hoping you prove this is NOT the case with your cards. I'd hate to think companies would do this on high end products.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
January 18, 2005 9:15:49 PM

I've got the msi nx 6800 if that is any help...I also have two vga to dvi adapters, one has less pins....like some are missing from the middle. However, I tried both...hmm...I'd like to put this monitor to good use, plus dual monitors is hella cool.
a b U Graphics card
January 19, 2005 10:51:50 AM

If I understand SLI correctly ,It only suppurts one monitor.

I aint signing nothing!!!
!