Buying (gaming) laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZoomerPong

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum so forgive me if this isn't the right place to start this thread or if I didn't respect regular procedures.

I have to buy a new laptop which will be mainly used for surfing the web, writing mails, using programs such as Microsoft Word, etc nothing special. But I also want it to be able to decently run games. Of course I don't want a super computer that can run everything with max settings etc Just something able to do well. I am not using the "laptops FAQ form" because I already found two computers that suits well to my preferences. I just want the opinion of an expert to know which one is better.

Here are the two models and their specs:

1) ASUS N76VZ-V2G-T5097V 999€
SCREEN: 17.3' LED (1600 x 900 LED HD+)
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7 3610QM 2.3 Ghz (3.3Ghz)
RAM: 8 Go DDR3 (2 x 4 Gb)
MAX MEMORY: 16 Gb [don't know what this means]
GRAPHIC CARD: Nvidia Geforce GT650M 2 Gb
HDD: 1000 Gb 5400 rpm

HDMI
Bluetooth 4.0
4 x USB 3.0
Blu-Ray-Dvd burner
Windows 7 premium

2) MSI GT 780DX - 636 17.3 LED 1400€
PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7 2670 QM 2.2Ghz
RAM: 8 Gb DDR3 (4Gb x 2)
GRAPHIC CARD: NVIDIA GTX 570M 1.5Gb GDDR5
HDD: 750 Gb 7200 rpm
LED PANEL: 17.3' FHD, 1920x1080 (Non-Glare Type)

Blu-Ray reader
Windows 7 Premium 64
This model has a Cooler Boost Technolgy, TDE Technology, and a keyboard by SteelSeries
With this computer there are also a gaming mouse (dont' know which one though) and a game (still don't know which one) for free.

I don't know which one to choose because one is better than the other in something but worse in something else (eg the Asus has 1Tb HDD but only 5400rpm while the MSI has only 750Gb but 7200 rpm).

I also have one last question: do both processors have the Turbo Boost technology? And which frequency can they reach?

Thank you very much in advance, I hope all the information given above will help you to give me an advice.

Solution
Laptop #1 has a faster processor than Laptop #2, but laptop #2 has a faster GPU (but not much faster). Both laptops have equal RAM, so that isn't an issue. Max memory (for laptop #1) means that is how much RAM the laptop can handle, so if you want to upgrade by adding more RAM (which I doubt you'll ever need to), you can. As you mentioned, the HDD of laptop #1 is slower (however, I doubt it will make much of a difference for your needs anyhow). Laptop #2 also has a higher resolution than laptop #1.

So it comes down to value. Laptop #1 will be faster than Laptop #2 in everything but games. In games, laptop #2 wins but by a negligible amount. Laptop #2 is also a bit more expensive. If having a smaller resolution doesn't bother you, I...

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Laptop #1 has a faster processor than Laptop #2, but laptop #2 has a faster GPU (but not much faster). Both laptops have equal RAM, so that isn't an issue. Max memory (for laptop #1) means that is how much RAM the laptop can handle, so if you want to upgrade by adding more RAM (which I doubt you'll ever need to), you can. As you mentioned, the HDD of laptop #1 is slower (however, I doubt it will make much of a difference for your needs anyhow). Laptop #2 also has a higher resolution than laptop #1.

So it comes down to value. Laptop #1 will be faster than Laptop #2 in everything but games. In games, laptop #2 wins but by a negligible amount. Laptop #2 is also a bit more expensive. If having a smaller resolution doesn't bother you, I would personally choose laptop #1 for value and speed.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.