XP prevents incremental backups?

My Ghost 9 backup software wont do incrementals. No matter what I try it
will only do a baseline backup. If I leave the PC on overnight however, it
WILL do a
incremental (in other words PC not turned off between backups).
I have updated, reloaded, rescheduled, tried different schedules etc. I
also do not do defrag or schedule a defrag (which I read in a FAQ on will
cause this).

Does the fact that if I dont power off between backups provide a clues as to
what I can do to correct this? Does windows somehow scamble the disk so it
looks likes its defragged when I power it up again?

thanks

Ghost 9.0 makes incrementals for me, whether I've powered off between
backups or left my computer running. Perhaps you're misunderstanding
something in the directions? I hate myself when I do that. Have you
contacted Symantec technical support?

As for defragmenting: I can't remember the last time I did that. XP does
partial defrags in the background, and that's enough to keep my computer
running well.

Ted Zieglar

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My Ghost 9 backup software wont do incrementals. No matter what I try it
> will only do a baseline backup. If I leave the PC on overnight however,
> it
> WILL do a
> incremental (in other words PC not turned off between backups).
> I have updated, reloaded, rescheduled, tried different schedules etc. I
> also do not do defrag or schedule a defrag (which I read in a FAQ on will
> cause this).
>
> Does the fact that if I dont power off between backups provide a clues as
> what I can do to correct this? Does windows somehow scamble the disk so
> it
> looks likes its defragged when I power it up again?
>
> thanks

I've noticed that if the computer is turned off with the power button
(screen freeze due to bad Dell video drivers in my case) that the next
scheduled image is never an incremental one. It's always a baseline image
backup. Defragging on a daily basis doesn't prevent incremental backups but
the images may be a little larger.

Brian

"jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> My Ghost 9 backup software wont do incrementals. No matter what I try it
> will only do a baseline backup. If I leave the PC on overnight however,
> it
> WILL do a
> incremental (in other words PC not turned off between backups).
> I have updated, reloaded, rescheduled, tried different schedules etc. I
> also do not do defrag or schedule a defrag (which I read in a FAQ on will
> cause this).
>
> Does the fact that if I dont power off between backups provide a clues as
> what I can do to correct this? Does windows somehow scamble the disk so
> it
> looks likes its defragged when I power it up again?
>
> thanks

I tried turning off the XP restore, and now the incremental seems to work
after start up. I also turned the XP restore back on and lowered from max
disk usage to about 5% (was max at 12%) and it still seems to be working.
We will see. Maybe it has something to do with the % of disk that is
changed that Ghost using to determine if it can do incremental
"Brian K" <iibntgyea4 REMOVE_THIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've noticed that if the computer is turned off with the power button
> (screen freeze due to bad Dell video drivers in my case) that the next
> scheduled image is never an incremental one. It's always a baseline image
> backup. Defragging on a daily basis doesn't prevent incremental backups
> but the images may be a little larger.
>
> Brian
>

> "jtsnow" <jtsnow@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> My Ghost 9 backup software wont do incrementals. No matter what I try it
>> will only do a baseline backup. If I leave the PC on overnight however,
>> it
>> WILL do a
>> incremental (in other words PC not turned off between backups).
>> I have updated, reloaded, rescheduled, tried different schedules etc. I
>> also do not do defrag or schedule a defrag (which I read in a FAQ on will
>> cause this).
>>
>> Does the fact that if I dont power off between backups provide a clues as
>> what I can do to correct this? Does windows somehow scamble the disk so
>> it
>> looks likes its defragged when I power it up again?
>>
>> thanks

Interesting. I have System Restored turned off for all drives. Don't need it
with daily incremental images.