Sign in with
Your question

MS Upgrade

Last response: in Windows 7
July 3, 2010 12:42:49 PM

I had a virus meltdown and decided to upgrade to Windows 7 and also upgrade the Office software at the same time. I had the data backed up on a Windows Home Server. Is there an easy way to get Outlook populated with the old data/history/contacts?

Thanks,

CMW

More about : upgrade

a b $ Windows 7
July 3, 2010 6:01:26 PM

There should be a master data file on your server if you backed it up properly. It is a PST file. If you can find the file, simply drag it into the outlook program folder via the C drive.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
July 3, 2010 6:22:24 PM

buwish said:
There should be a master data file on your server if you backed it up properly. It is a PST file. If you can find the file, simply drag it into the outlook program folder via the C drive.

You then also must open the pst file from within Outlook. To do this, open Outlook and go to File > Open > Open Outlook Data file. Double click on the pst file you moved over from the server and you should see it in Outlook at the left of the window.
m
l
Related resources
July 4, 2010 1:52:57 PM

The_Prophecy said:
You then also must open the pst file from within Outlook. To do this, open Outlook and go to File > Open > Open Outlook Data file. Double click on the pst file you moved over from the server and you should see it in Outlook at the left of the window.

Thank you for assuming I know very little about computers. You are correct.

I am still having some trouble. On the Windows Server I have opened my backup for this computer before the crash. Where do I find the most current outlook email history (file) to restore? It was backed up every night and since I have a lot of storage on the Server I backed up the whole computer, not just selected files. buwish's answer said 'if you backed up properly' so I'm not sure what 'properly' meant.

Thanks,

CMW
m
l
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
July 4, 2010 3:03:26 PM

Search the backup for a file called Outlook.pst. It contains all your Outlook data. It can be imported into Outlook.
m
l
!