Sign in with
Your question

New hard drive

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
September 18, 2012 5:08:38 PM

My original hard drive stopped working on my Toshiba L655 laptop. I bought a new one and had to order a recovery disk from Toshiba. I ran the disk and got an error message and windows does not boot up. Toshiba is sending me a new disk but is there anything else I can do to fix this problem? Also, I know the hardrive works, as I was using Windows (illegally lol) that someone gave me for a few weeks.

More about : hard drive

a b D Laptop
September 18, 2012 5:16:06 PM

Well 1 we probably needed to know the error message, and 2, you will not find support here for problems caused by illegal software :( . That's the risk faced using pirated software!
m
l
September 18, 2012 5:22:11 PM

+1

Without the error message providing assistance is futile.

However with any recovery disk, it should in essence blow away the entire drive and re-image unless the recovery disk is for the incorrect system then one may run into issues.
m
l
Related resources
September 18, 2012 5:22:21 PM

The error message was F3-F100-003 . The Windows 7 I was using was during a trial period and I didnt have the key code. My 30 days was nearing an end so I ordered my recovery disk in order to have everything squared away.
m
l
September 18, 2012 5:58:29 PM

The error message is generated by the Toshiba recovery software indicating a HDD issue.

I would use a Linux boot CD to perform a clean wipe of the drive to see if that results in a clean install.
m
l
September 18, 2012 8:46:47 PM

Thanks! I will try this. Toshiba is sending me another recovery disk. If that doesnt work, then I will try the Linux boot CD before buying another computer
m
l
!