ATi FireGL Problems

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
Hi guys,
I just put an ATi FireGL V7100 in my new PC/Workstation. It's used for DCC, Animation, and Gaming of course. Here's my problem:

The FSAA (i.e. Anti-Aliasing via SmoothVision HD) is not working for DirectX Games and applications. It works fine on OpenGL Games and Apps, just not DirectX. Obviously this is kinda SUCKING since i upgraded from a 9800pro that AA'd games fine. I wanted my new workstation to have a better card for 3D DCC apps like lightwave, but could also handle games well.

I contacted ATi and talked to tech support, They said that any 3D app, OpenGL or DirectX should be AA'd just fine... but obviously it's not, so they're "working on it". SO, while they sit on their A$$'s and pretend to know what's going on, any ideas here? It doesn't matter if i set SmoothVision to Application Preference or Always on, DirectX Games/Apps are never AA'd.

GAH please guys, any ideas? If i can't get this solved i'm gonna have to sell this on eBay and get an X800 or X850, and i really don't want that hassle, and this card DOES work better for my DCC... i just don't want to sacrafice DirectX Anti-Aliasing... :(

Any help is greatly appriciated!!!!

Not really sure, I''d say trust the proffesionals, this is a very uncommon situation you are talking about.

However I would suggest going to Rage3D.com and checking their forums, especially a guy whose name is Catalyst Maker, he would be the absolute authority, because as the name implies he makes the Catalyst drivers. By the same token he may be busy, or may ignore you depending on how you phrase your correspondance to him. But he would be your best bet for such a tricky situation.

Another option of last resort, look around for the SoftGL discussions and mods out there. I haven't seen/heard anything about a mod for X800 -> V7100 but driver mods like that will allow you to switch back and forth between gaming and workstation drivers and this may allow you to enable the features you are missing.

Those would be my suggestions straight off the bat, if you do find a solution it'd be nice to find out what they suggest. Hopefully you don't have to sell it on eBay.

GoodLuck!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
I'm a little confused about your post... You know i HAVE an ATi FireGL RIGHT NOW.. Correct? Not an Radeon X800. FireGL's don't use the catalyst drivers, they use the "fireGL unified" drivers. But if he is as involved with ATI products as you say, perhaps he'll know something, or at least can point me in the right direction. Thanks for the info.

If anyone else has any ideas, please post.

Yes, I know you have a FireGL however if YOU want to play games while still doing serious 3D work like you mentioned, you may need the moded drivers that allow you to switch back and forth. People make the effort to make drivers that allow you to do the FireGL mod, but I don't know of anyone who cares about making drivers for the FireGL to SoftX800 it.

FireGLs don't 'use' the Catalyst divers on the surface but you can load the Catalysts on older FireGLs, you just lose the benifits. That's the problem, you may still need to use the X800 drivers with the SoftGL mod simply to give you the gaming aspects. It's the Unified drivers that do the id check, not the Catalyst drivers (well at least on the old series) some reviewers used to load the Catalyst drivers on the X series cards to compare to R9700/9800 performance.

Once again, happy hunting.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

Logicsequence

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2004
OK i understand what you're saying now. Where would i find the drivers you are talking about? Any website or discussion board in particular you could point me to?

Well I'm not sure anymore, most of the guys who do this are Russian and alot of the discussions have to be translated, but one of the other sites I frequent, Adrian's RojakPot, has a bit of info on the subject., but it's mainly the last generation of cards discussed;

<A HREF="http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=105&var2=0" target="_new">http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=105&var2=0</A>

Rage3D once again would be a good source. Some moded drivers and tweaker programs like the Rivatuner sometimes have the option in their package, but once again it's for the older cards primarily IIRC.