XFX Geforce 6600GT 450W minimum required?

hammer033

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2005
I just purchased a XFX Geforce 6600GT online. I checked the requirements and it previously stated that 300W was the minimum. I'm looking at the box now and it states 450W. What the heck changed?

I have a PC Power & Cooling 300W Turbo-Cool power supply
that is 2 years old. Is it worth trying installing the card to see if it will work? Will it fry anything or just crash?

If I should upgrade power supplies, can anyone recommend a decent model for an Lian-Li PC-60 USB B( 1 Ball-Bearing Fan on the Top) MID ATX+ case?

pauldh

Illustrious
A PC Power and Cooling 300watt provides more clean power under high temps than some generic 450watts would I bet. Just a guess, but I think you are fine unless your case is packed full of drives/fans,etc. It's people with generic 300-350w PS that will have the issues.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3400555" target="_new"> My</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8268935" target="_new">Gamer</A>

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Try it. Your card probably has the molex power requirement so ensure you plug it in. If you have enough dongles, try to put the gpu on it's own line.

If you have insufficient power, you will not boot or it will crash if your system attempts to draw past your ppo. None of your components are in harms way.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Sponsored by the makers of <A HREF="http://latviansonline.com/sprats/sprotes_title.gif" target="_new">Sprotes</A>

Your PSU should be fine (baring a multiproc or large raid system).

Just follwo the instruction about the molex connector and you should be fine, but like sobe said, check for any issue just in case.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
I recently traded in a CAD grf card for a 6800 ultra.

And i have noticed that when my Thermaltake Butterfly 480watt psu has its fans manually turned down the machine locks up playing games but, when the fans are at full speed no problem. I would change your psu for a quality which has a true watts reading and make sure its silent because my thermaltake is not at full speed.

Well the thing about the Thermaltake is that without the fans spooling up when it gets hot, you'll get heat buildup inside it which will greatly reduce the power output.

PC-P&C PSUs have single fan very neat layouts to optimize airflow. I'm not sure if the 300W has manual fan control.

Also the GF6800U draws alot more power under load than the GF6600GT. But if there are problems it's a good point to check. I'd usually start with just temperature tests first like opening the side cover, of course that would have solved/affected your problem too in all likelyhood, but ended up giving you a louder rig.

But as long as he's not going overboard with the estras I think he'll be ok.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Yeppurs, that 6800 gpu core loves to be fed. It's almost to the point that a 2nd psu will be required to rung gpu's and raid arrays.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Sponsored by the makers of <A HREF="http://latviansonline.com/sprats/sprotes_title.gif" target="_new">Sprotes</A>

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
the air coming out is like hairdryer HOT, i have 4 fans on the case its a xaser 3 thermaltake case, so air flow is not a problem.

the 800xt doesent have the problem but then again there 2 totally different cards.

hammer033

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2005
I installed the card last night and it ran great. I didn't check the temp, but I played a 3d game for about 2 hours with no problems.

I also noticed that the instruction manual that comes with the card notes a 300W supply as the minimum.

Yeah the GF6800s run a little bit hotter than the X800s, thanks in part to the lack of Low-k IMO.