CityFido coming to Montreal!

Apparently City Fido is coming to Montreal on Monday November 15.

/Jim

very true...I know someone who works for Ericsson who is working on the
implementation.

"Jim Poon" <invalid_jimpoon@canada.com> wrote in message
> Apparently City Fido is coming to Montreal on Monday November 15.
>

> /Jim

really?

Jim Poon wrote:

> Apparently City Fido is coming to Montreal on Monday November 15.

If true, it would be quite a surprise. I had been told they were aiming for
second half of 2005 for Montreal.

Maybe the marketing will begin before the infrastructure has been upgraded to
handle the load.

Perhaps the infrastructure upgrades were cancelled due to the takeover and
they will just deploy it now and deal with problems individually. Maybe they
expect the churn to free up sufficient capacity to minimize problems.

And with the news that Fido is dead, the CityFido campaign just won't have as
much of an impact. It will be most interesting to see if Rogers will put its
logo at the bottom of the adds or not.

JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in

> Maybe the marketing will begin before the infrastructure has been
> upgraded to handle the load.
>
> Perhaps the infrastructure upgrades were cancelled due to the takeover
> and they will just deploy it now and deal with problems individually.
> Maybe they expect the churn to free up sufficient capacity to minimize
> problems.

I think the initial problems seen in Toronto and Vancouver will be non-
existant in Montreal, precisely because of the merger. When CityFido was
launched in these two cities, pockets of previously solid Fido coverage
went to shite because of overload (i presume). Congestion is no longer an
issue as Fido phones will automatically switch over to the Rogers network.

Good Man wrote:
> Congestion is no longer an
> issue as Fido phones will automatically switch over to the Rogers network.

Not CityFido. They are not allowed to roam onto Rogers. And in 3 months, Fido
customers will no longer roam onto Rogers unless they pay extra. Meanwhile,
Fido has to handle the Rogers surplus since Rogers customers do get to roam
for free on Fido indefinitely.

Also, if you've locked onto Fido, and you get the system busy, your phone
won't go look onto Rogers.

What we won't see/notice is whether Rogers transfers spectrum from Microcell
to Rogers. If that happens, then congestion problems will increase at Fido.

I guess the information that I read in one of the French daily
newspapers (I believe that it was Journal de Montreal) last week was
mistaken since I didn't see anything today about City Fido being
available to Montrealers. Too bad...

/Jim

JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message news:<41980890.FDD40B67@teksavvy.com>...
> Good Man wrote:
> > Congestion is no longer an
> > issue as Fido phones will automatically switch over to the Rogers network.
>
> Not CityFido. They are not allowed to roam onto Rogers. And in 3 months, Fido
> customers will no longer roam onto Rogers unless they pay extra. Meanwhile,
> Fido has to handle the Rogers surplus since Rogers customers do get to roam
> for free on Fido indefinitely.
>
> Also, if you've locked onto Fido, and you get the system busy, your phone
> won't go look onto Rogers.
>
> What we won't see/notice is whether Rogers transfers spectrum from Microcell
> to Rogers. If that happens, then congestion problems will increase at Fido.

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:42:02 -0500, JF Mezei
<jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

>And with the news that Fido is dead, the CityFido campaign just won't have as
>much of an impact. It will be most interesting to see if Rogers will put its
>logo at the bottom of the adds or not.

I think you need to read up on what Rogers is doing before making
silly statements like "CityFido is dead."

Joseph

Distinguished
May 19, 2002

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:57:06 -0600, Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote:

> When CityFido was
>launched in these two cities, pockets of previously solid Fido coverage
>went to shite because of overload (i presume).

(I presume) means that you in fact do not know but just speculate.
How typical.

Joseph wrote:
> > When CityFido was
> >launched in these two cities, pockets of previously solid Fido coverage
> >went to shite because of overload (i presume).
>
> (I presume) means that you in fact do not know but just speculate.
> How typical.

Even Fido employees admitted that they had problems during launches in
Vancouver and Toronto in terms of capacity. So you get more "system busy" messages.

But as they try to fix the problems by better tuning of antennas, it can
change signal strength. You need to complain when this happens.

Well, it is now on Fido's web site.

local CityFido coverage map at:
http://cityfido.ca/en/get/montreal_zone.html

It is actually fairly generous, and includes Mont Tremblant area. Stops at
ontario border on the 20 and 40.

Stops just past Eastmain on the 10 to Sherbrooke.
Stops past St-Hyacyhthe on the 20 to Québec
Stops past Joliette on the 40 to Québec.

> > Congestion is no longer an
> > issue as Fido phones will automatically switch over to the Rogers
network.

> Not CityFido. They are not allowed to roam onto Rogers. And in 3 months,
Fido
> customers will no longer roam onto Rogers unless they pay extra.
Meanwhile,
> Fido has to handle the Rogers surplus since Rogers customers do get to
roam
> for free on Fido indefinitely.
>
> Also, if you've locked onto Fido, and you get the system busy, your phone
> won't go look onto Rogers.
>
> What we won't see/notice is whether Rogers transfers spectrum from
Microcell
> to Rogers. If that happens, then congestion problems will increase at
Fido.

Hey, dipstick, within the city fido zone YOU CAN USE ROGERS NETWORK.. What a
f'n idiot. Pathetic human.

check again because city fido customers do NOT roam onto Rogers.

http://www.fido.ca/portal/promos/personal/acquisition_20041108/en/promotion.shtml

> > you can apologize for your insult.
>
> Within the city zone, if a subscriber roams on Rogers, they will not be
> charged.

after showing yourself to be quite the moron. try getting somebody to read
this to you.

> > > Congestion is no longer an
> > > issue as Fido phones will automatically switch over to the Rogers
> network.
> >
> > Not CityFido. They are not allowed to roam onto Rogers. And in 3 months,
> Fido
> > customers will no longer roam onto Rogers unless they pay extra.
> Meanwhile,
> > Fido has to handle the Rogers surplus since Rogers customers do get to
> roam
> > for free on Fido indefinitely.
> >
> > Also, if you've locked onto Fido, and you get the system busy, your
phone
> > won't go look onto Rogers.
> >
> > What we won't see/notice is whether Rogers transfers spectrum from
> Microcell
> > to Rogers. If that happens, then congestion problems will increase at
> Fido.
>
> Hey, dipstick, within the city fido zone YOU CAN USE ROGERS NETWORK.. What
> f'n idiot. Pathetic human.

I think that you should re-read the text in the URL
(http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/support/acquisition.shtml). Here is a copy of
it:
Can I access enhanced coverage on Rogers Wireless GSM network?

Yes - If you are a Fido Customer with a monthly airtime package.
o Until February 28, 2005, all existing and new monthly package customers
will automatically receive access to enhanced coverage for three months at
no additional charge.
o This includes access to Rogers Wireless coverage outside the Fido
footprint and inside the Fido footprint where Rogers Wireless signal
strength is considerably stronger.
o All minutes used on the enhanced coverage area count towards your monthly
package.
o After your three months, you may then choose to add the enhanced coverage
option to your monthly plan, for an additional $5 per month.
o Your handset will automatically switch over to the Rogers Wireless network
and back again to the Fido network when your handset is set in the default
"automatic network selection" mode.

No. If you are a Prepaid, Full Control Package or City Fido Customer,
unfortunately, you do not have access to the Rogers Wireless network in
Canada at this time

Re-read the part about the "No" before you start calling people names. It
plainly says that City Fido customers unfortunately DO NOT have access to
the Rogers Wireless network in Canada

<malingerer@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Hey, dipstick, within the city fido zone YOU CAN USE ROGERS NETWORK..
> What a
>> > f'n idiot. Pathetic human.
>>
>> After you read
>>
> http://www.fido.ca/portal/promos/personal/acquisition_20041108/en/promotion.shtml
>>
>> you can apologize for your insult.
>
> Within the city zone, if a subscriber roams on Rogers, they will not be
> charged.

I am having ab bitchy week.. other than that, JF is still an idiot.

"Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@big-f*ing-companies.com> wrote
in message news:LXdnd.29871$Uy.605761@weber.videotron.net...
> I think that you should re-read the text in the URL
> (http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/support/acquisition.shtml). Here is a copy
of
> it:
> Can I access enhanced coverage on Rogers Wireless GSM network?
>
> Yes - If you are a Fido Customer with a monthly airtime package.
> o Until February 28, 2005, all existing and new monthly package customers
> will automatically receive access to enhanced coverage for three months at
> no additional charge.
> o This includes access to Rogers Wireless coverage outside the Fido
> footprint and inside the Fido footprint where Rogers Wireless signal
> strength is considerably stronger.
> o All minutes used on the enhanced coverage area count towards your
monthly
> package.
> o After your three months, you may then choose to add the enhanced
coverage
> option to your monthly plan, for an additional $5 per month.
> o Your handset will automatically switch over to the Rogers Wireless
network
> and back again to the Fido network when your handset is set in the default
> "automatic network selection" mode.
>
> No. If you are a Prepaid, Full Control Package or City Fido Customer,
> unfortunately, you do not have access to the Rogers Wireless network in
> Canada at this time
>

> Re-read the part about the "No" before you start calling people names. It
> plainly says that City Fido customers unfortunately DO NOT have access to
> the Rogers Wireless network in Canada
>

> <malingerer@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > What a
> >>
> >> After you read

http://www.fido.ca/portal/promos/personal/acquisition_20041108/en/promotion.shtml

> >> you can apologize for your insult.
> >
> > Within the city zone, if a subscriber roams on Rogers, they will not be
> > charged.

I don't know about that. Reading this thread makes me think that you are
rude for calling the guy names. If you thought that CityFido allowed users
to use Rogers network and disagreed with him when he said that CityFido
doesn't allow users to use Rogers network thats one thing but to call the
guy names when he didn't say anything to warrant it makes you seem like a
.... Its like if someone posted that Fido gives away SE P900's for free with
a 2 year sub (not true), I wouldn't call the guy an f-ing idiot for posting
it. I would just say that the guy is wrong or ask him to post the link that
he is getting the information from.

>I am having ab bitchy week.. other than that, JF is still an idiot.
>
> "Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@big-f*ing-companies.com>
> wrote
> in message news:LXdnd.29871$Uy.605761@weber.videotron.net...
>> I think that you should re-read the text in the URL
>> (http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/support/acquisition.shtml). Here is a copy
> of
>> it:
>> Can I access enhanced coverage on Rogers Wireless GSM network?
>>
>> Yes - If you are a Fido Customer with a monthly airtime package.
>> o Until February 28, 2005, all existing and new monthly package customers
>> will automatically receive access to enhanced coverage for three months
>> at
>> no additional charge.
>> o This includes access to Rogers Wireless coverage outside the Fido
>> footprint and inside the Fido footprint where Rogers Wireless signal
>> strength is considerably stronger.
>> o All minutes used on the enhanced coverage area count towards your
> monthly
>> package.
>> o After your three months, you may then choose to add the enhanced
> coverage
>> option to your monthly plan, for an additional $5 per month.
>> o Your handset will automatically switch over to the Rogers Wireless
> network
>> and back again to the Fido network when your handset is set in the
>> default
>> "automatic network selection" mode.
>>
>> No. If you are a Prepaid, Full Control Package or City Fido Customer,
>> unfortunately, you do not have access to the Rogers Wireless network in
>> Canada at this time
>>

>> Re-read the part about the "No" before you start calling people names. It
>> plainly says that City Fido customers unfortunately DO NOT have access to
>> the Rogers Wireless network in Canada
>>

>> <malingerer@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> > What a

> http://www.fido.ca/portal/promos/personal/acquisition_20041108/en/promotion.shtml

>> > Within the city zone, if a subscriber roams on Rogers, they will not be
>> > charged.

> I don't know about that. Reading this thread makes me think that you are
> rude for calling the guy names. If you thought that CityFido allowed users
> to use Rogers network and disagreed with him when he said that CityFido
> doesn't allow users to use Rogers network thats one thing but to call the
> guy names when he didn't say anything to warrant it makes you seem like a
> ... Its like if someone posted that Fido gives away SE P900's for free
with
> a 2 year sub (not true), I wouldn't call the guy an f-ing idiot for
posting
> it. I would just say that the guy is wrong or ask him to post the link
that
> he is getting the information from.

I don't know about that.. yadayadayada.. whatever.. he's a pragmatic
pessimist and it's been proven repetitively via his postings over the
years.. so lifd. thread dead. im wrong.. I was rude. Bad week.