CityFido coming to Montreal!

Apparently City Fido is coming to Montreal on Monday November 15.

/Jim
21 answers Last reply
More about cityfido coming montreal

    very true...I know someone who works for Ericsson who is working on the
    implementation.

    "Jim Poon" <invalid_jimpoon@canada.com> wrote in message
    > Apparently City Fido is coming to Montreal on Monday November 15.
    >

    > /Jim

    really?

    Jim Poon wrote:

    > Apparently City Fido is coming to Montreal on Monday November 15.

    If true, it would be quite a surprise. I had been told they were aiming for
    second half of 2005 for Montreal.

    Maybe the marketing will begin before the infrastructure has been upgraded to
    handle the load.

    Perhaps the infrastructure upgrades were cancelled due to the takeover and
    they will just deploy it now and deal with problems individually. Maybe they
    expect the churn to free up sufficient capacity to minimize problems.

    And with the news that Fido is dead, the CityFido campaign just won't have as
    much of an impact. It will be most interesting to see if Rogers will put its
    logo at the bottom of the adds or not.

    JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in

    > Maybe the marketing will begin before the infrastructure has been
    > upgraded to handle the load.
    >
    > Perhaps the infrastructure upgrades were cancelled due to the takeover
    > and they will just deploy it now and deal with problems individually.
    > Maybe they expect the churn to free up sufficient capacity to minimize
    > problems.

    I think the initial problems seen in Toronto and Vancouver will be non-
    existant in Montreal, precisely because of the merger. When CityFido was
    launched in these two cities, pockets of previously solid Fido coverage
    went to shite because of overload (i presume). Congestion is no longer an
    issue as Fido phones will automatically switch over to the Rogers network.

    Good Man wrote:
    > Congestion is no longer an
    > issue as Fido phones will automatically switch over to the Rogers network.

    Not CityFido. They are not allowed to roam onto Rogers. And in 3 months, Fido
    customers will no longer roam onto Rogers unless they pay extra. Meanwhile,
    Fido has to handle the Rogers surplus since Rogers customers do get to roam
    for free on Fido indefinitely.

    Also, if you've locked onto Fido, and you get the system busy, your phone
    won't go look onto Rogers.

    What we won't see/notice is whether Rogers transfers spectrum from Microcell
    to Rogers. If that happens, then congestion problems will increase at Fido.

    I guess the information that I read in one of the French daily
    newspapers (I believe that it was Journal de Montreal) last week was
    mistaken since I didn't see anything today about City Fido being
    available to Montrealers. Too bad...

    /Jim

    JF Mezei <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message news:<41980890.FDD40B67@teksavvy.com>...
    > Good Man wrote:
    > > Congestion is no longer an
    > > issue as Fido phones will automatically switch over to the Rogers network.
    >
    > Not CityFido. They are not allowed to roam onto Rogers. And in 3 months, Fido
    > customers will no longer roam onto Rogers unless they pay extra. Meanwhile,
    > Fido has to handle the Rogers surplus since Rogers customers do get to roam
    > for free on Fido indefinitely.
    >
    > Also, if you've locked onto Fido, and you get the system busy, your phone
    > won't go look onto Rogers.
    >
    > What we won't see/notice is whether Rogers transfers spectrum from Microcell
    > to Rogers. If that happens, then congestion problems will increase at Fido.

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 16:42:02 -0500, JF Mezei
    <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote:

    >And with the news that Fido is dead, the CityFido campaign just won't have as
    >much of an impact. It will be most interesting to see if Rogers will put its
    >logo at the bottom of the adds or not.

    I think you need to read up on what Rogers is doing before making
    silly statements like "CityFido is dead."

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 15:57:06 -0600, Good Man <heyho@letsgo.com> wrote:

    > When CityFido was
    >launched in these two cities, pockets of previously solid Fido coverage
    >went to shite because of overload (i presume).

    (I presume) means that you in fact do not know but just speculate.
    How typical.

    Joseph wrote:
    > > When CityFido was
    > >launched in these two cities, pockets of previously solid Fido coverage
    > >went to shite because of overload (i presume).
    >
    > (I presume) means that you in fact do not know but just speculate.
    > How typical.

    Even Fido employees admitted that they had problems during launches in
    Vancouver and Toronto in terms of capacity. So you get more "system busy" messages.

    But as they try to fix the problems by better tuning of antennas, it can
    change signal strength. You need to complain when this happens.

    Read today's financial press, it's coming on the 18th!

    Citation de Jim Poon [2004-11-14 11:12]:
    > Apparently City Fido is coming to Montreal on Monday November 15.
    >

    > /Jim

    Le 18 novembre
    http://www.branchez-vous.com/actu/04-11/08-334703.html

    Well, it is now on Fido's web site.

    local CityFido coverage map at:
    http://cityfido.ca/en/get/montreal_zone.html

    It is actually fairly generous, and includes Mont Tremblant area. Stops at
    ontario border on the 20 and 40.

    Stops just past Eastmain on the 10 to Sherbrooke.
    Stops past St-Hyacyhthe on the 20 to Québec
    Stops past Joliette on the 40 to Québec.

    > > Congestion is no longer an
    > > issue as Fido phones will automatically switch over to the Rogers
    network.

    > Not CityFido. They are not allowed to roam onto Rogers. And in 3 months,
    Fido
    > customers will no longer roam onto Rogers unless they pay extra.
    Meanwhile,
    > Fido has to handle the Rogers surplus since Rogers customers do get to
    roam
    > for free on Fido indefinitely.
    >
    > Also, if you've locked onto Fido, and you get the system busy, your phone
    > won't go look onto Rogers.
    >
    > What we won't see/notice is whether Rogers transfers spectrum from
    Microcell
    > to Rogers. If that happens, then congestion problems will increase at
    Fido.

    Hey, dipstick, within the city fido zone YOU CAN USE ROGERS NETWORK.. What a
    f'n idiot. Pathetic human.

    malingerer@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hey, dipstick, within the city fido zone YOU CAN USE ROGERS NETWORK.. What a
    > f'n idiot. Pathetic human.

    After you read
    http://www.fido.ca/portal/promos/personal/acquisition_20041108/en/promotion.shtml

    you can apologize for your insult.

    > > Hey, dipstick, within the city fido zone YOU CAN USE ROGERS NETWORK..
    What a
    > > f'n idiot. Pathetic human.
    >
    > After you read

    http://www.fido.ca/portal/promos/personal/acquisition_20041108/en/promotion.shtml

    > you can apologize for your insult.

    Within the city zone, if a subscriber roams on Rogers, they will not be
    charged.

    check again because city fido customers do NOT roam onto Rogers.

    <malingerer@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hey, dipstick, within the city fido zone YOU CAN USE ROGERS NETWORK..
    > What a
    > > > f'n idiot. Pathetic human.
    > >
    > > After you read

    http://www.fido.ca/portal/promos/personal/acquisition_20041108/en/promotion.shtml

    > > you can apologize for your insult.
    >
    > Within the city zone, if a subscriber roams on Rogers, they will not be
    > charged.

    after showing yourself to be quite the moron. try getting somebody to read
    this to you.

    > > > Congestion is no longer an
    > > > issue as Fido phones will automatically switch over to the Rogers
    > network.
    > >
    > > Not CityFido. They are not allowed to roam onto Rogers. And in 3 months,
    > Fido
    > > customers will no longer roam onto Rogers unless they pay extra.
    > Meanwhile,
    > > Fido has to handle the Rogers surplus since Rogers customers do get to
    > roam
    > > for free on Fido indefinitely.
    > >
    > > Also, if you've locked onto Fido, and you get the system busy, your
    phone
    > > won't go look onto Rogers.
    > >
    > > What we won't see/notice is whether Rogers transfers spectrum from
    > Microcell
    > > to Rogers. If that happens, then congestion problems will increase at
    > Fido.
    >
    > Hey, dipstick, within the city fido zone YOU CAN USE ROGERS NETWORK.. What
    > f'n idiot. Pathetic human.

    I think that you should re-read the text in the URL
    (http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/support/acquisition.shtml). Here is a copy of
    it:
    Can I access enhanced coverage on Rogers Wireless GSM network?

    Yes - If you are a Fido Customer with a monthly airtime package.
    o Until February 28, 2005, all existing and new monthly package customers
    will automatically receive access to enhanced coverage for three months at
    no additional charge.
    o This includes access to Rogers Wireless coverage outside the Fido
    footprint and inside the Fido footprint where Rogers Wireless signal
    strength is considerably stronger.
    o All minutes used on the enhanced coverage area count towards your monthly
    package.
    o After your three months, you may then choose to add the enhanced coverage
    option to your monthly plan, for an additional $5 per month.
    o Your handset will automatically switch over to the Rogers Wireless network
    and back again to the Fido network when your handset is set in the default
    "automatic network selection" mode.

    No. If you are a Prepaid, Full Control Package or City Fido Customer,
    unfortunately, you do not have access to the Rogers Wireless network in
    Canada at this time

    Re-read the part about the "No" before you start calling people names. It
    plainly says that City Fido customers unfortunately DO NOT have access to
    the Rogers Wireless network in Canada

    <malingerer@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hey, dipstick, within the city fido zone YOU CAN USE ROGERS NETWORK..
    > What a
    >> > f'n idiot. Pathetic human.
    >>
    >> After you read
    >>
    > http://www.fido.ca/portal/promos/personal/acquisition_20041108/en/promotion.shtml
    >>
    >> you can apologize for your insult.
    >
    > Within the city zone, if a subscriber roams on Rogers, they will not be
    > charged.

    I am having ab bitchy week.. other than that, JF is still an idiot.

    "Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@big-f*ing-companies.com> wrote
    in message news:LXdnd.29871$Uy.605761@weber.videotron.net...
    > I think that you should re-read the text in the URL
    > (http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/support/acquisition.shtml). Here is a copy
    of
    > it:
    > Can I access enhanced coverage on Rogers Wireless GSM network?
    >
    > Yes - If you are a Fido Customer with a monthly airtime package.
    > o Until February 28, 2005, all existing and new monthly package customers
    > will automatically receive access to enhanced coverage for three months at
    > no additional charge.
    > o This includes access to Rogers Wireless coverage outside the Fido
    > footprint and inside the Fido footprint where Rogers Wireless signal
    > strength is considerably stronger.
    > o All minutes used on the enhanced coverage area count towards your
    monthly
    > package.
    > o After your three months, you may then choose to add the enhanced
    coverage
    > option to your monthly plan, for an additional $5 per month.
    > o Your handset will automatically switch over to the Rogers Wireless
    network
    > and back again to the Fido network when your handset is set in the default
    > "automatic network selection" mode.
    >
    > No. If you are a Prepaid, Full Control Package or City Fido Customer,
    > unfortunately, you do not have access to the Rogers Wireless network in
    > Canada at this time
    >

    > Re-read the part about the "No" before you start calling people names. It
    > plainly says that City Fido customers unfortunately DO NOT have access to
    > the Rogers Wireless network in Canada
    >

    > <malingerer@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > What a
    > >>
    > >> After you read

    http://www.fido.ca/portal/promos/personal/acquisition_20041108/en/promotion.shtml

    > >> you can apologize for your insult.
    > >
    > > Within the city zone, if a subscriber roams on Rogers, they will not be
    > > charged.

    I don't know about that. Reading this thread makes me think that you are
    rude for calling the guy names. If you thought that CityFido allowed users
    to use Rogers network and disagreed with him when he said that CityFido
    doesn't allow users to use Rogers network thats one thing but to call the
    guy names when he didn't say anything to warrant it makes you seem like a
    .... Its like if someone posted that Fido gives away SE P900's for free with
    a 2 year sub (not true), I wouldn't call the guy an f-ing idiot for posting
    it. I would just say that the guy is wrong or ask him to post the link that
    he is getting the information from.

    >I am having ab bitchy week.. other than that, JF is still an idiot.
    >
    > "Harry Eugene Ly" <consumers-get-bad-service@big-f*ing-companies.com>
    > wrote
    > in message news:LXdnd.29871$Uy.605761@weber.videotron.net...
    >> I think that you should re-read the text in the URL
    >> (http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/support/acquisition.shtml). Here is a copy
    > of
    >> it:
    >> Can I access enhanced coverage on Rogers Wireless GSM network?
    >>
    >> Yes - If you are a Fido Customer with a monthly airtime package.
    >> o Until February 28, 2005, all existing and new monthly package customers
    >> will automatically receive access to enhanced coverage for three months
    >> at
    >> no additional charge.
    >> o This includes access to Rogers Wireless coverage outside the Fido
    >> footprint and inside the Fido footprint where Rogers Wireless signal
    >> strength is considerably stronger.
    >> o All minutes used on the enhanced coverage area count towards your
    > monthly
    >> package.
    >> o After your three months, you may then choose to add the enhanced
    > coverage
    >> option to your monthly plan, for an additional $5 per month.
    >> o Your handset will automatically switch over to the Rogers Wireless
    > network
    >> and back again to the Fido network when your handset is set in the
    >> default
    >> "automatic network selection" mode.
    >>
    >> No. If you are a Prepaid, Full Control Package or City Fido Customer,
    >> unfortunately, you do not have access to the Rogers Wireless network in
    >> Canada at this time
    >>

    >> Re-read the part about the "No" before you start calling people names. It
    >> plainly says that City Fido customers unfortunately DO NOT have access to
    >> the Rogers Wireless network in Canada
    >>

    >> <malingerer@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > What a

    > http://www.fido.ca/portal/promos/personal/acquisition_20041108/en/promotion.shtml

    >> > Within the city zone, if a subscriber roams on Rogers, they will not be
    >> > charged.

    > I don't know about that. Reading this thread makes me think that you are
    > rude for calling the guy names. If you thought that CityFido allowed users
    > to use Rogers network and disagreed with him when he said that CityFido
    > doesn't allow users to use Rogers network thats one thing but to call the
    > guy names when he didn't say anything to warrant it makes you seem like a
    > ... Its like if someone posted that Fido gives away SE P900's for free
    with
    > a 2 year sub (not true), I wouldn't call the guy an f-ing idiot for
    posting
    > it. I would just say that the guy is wrong or ask him to post the link
    that
    > he is getting the information from.

    I don't know about that.. yadayadayada.. whatever.. he's a pragmatic
    pessimist and it's been proven repetitively via his postings over the
    years.. so lifd. thread dead. im wrong.. I was rude. Bad week.

Fido Internet Service Providers