PCI Express vs. AGP

yllib1213

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
I am looking to build a new system and have been looking at various video cards. I decided on the XFX 6600 GT. While looking around at prices I noticed that the pci express model is around $50 dollars cheaper than the AGP model. Are they just trying to get some out in the market or is there a reason that the AGP model is more expensive? I read the article on THG about PCI Express and it seems to be the next great thing for cards. Would I be better off going with the PCI Express model?

Ponzu

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2005
I'm not all that up on it, but from what I've read some of the newer cards are PCI-E but are fitted with a bridge to make them fit AGP, so that's where the extra cost is.

If building a new rig now it seems smart to go with PCI-E for the reasons that PCI-E cards are cheaper and may be more plentiful in the future than AGP cards.

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Keep in mind PCI-E is an evolution, not a standard. The time table is running on PCI-E architecture - meaning it will be the defacto pseudo standard until some sort of standards alliance is made between the semicondutor heavyweights. The pricing tilt has shifted in PCI-E's favor due to manufacturing changes. Initially, PCI-E was hype and high prices as are most new products. And yes, AGP will continue to cost more as they are produced in reduced quantities. A PNY distributor rep was at a local vendor last week and was pretty informative and open to questions. According to him, new designs are aimed at PCI-E and 'conversion' versions are designed for the shrinking AGP market AFTER the PCI-E model hits production. Bigger profits, more sales volume first, niche market second.

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>