Starting up in safe mode doesn't help. Same error, blue screen with
unmountable_boot_volume. I use a dell and the operating system came
pre-installed. It did not come with XP discs, only the dell reinstallation
CD which i can't get to boot up. I'm pretty sure my next step is to install
the recovery console and run the chkdsk /r, however I don't have installation
disks to get the console installed.

Is there any way to install the consolue without the XP installatin disks?
Any ideas for other ways to fix this problem?
--
Home User

Dell pcs come with Operating System CDs. Be sure to look for the CDs that
came with yours.

Yes, there is another way to run Recovery Console & CHKDSK without the XP
CD.
That's to use the XP setup diskettes, which can be downloaded from MS.

Make sure you know whether your system has XP Service Pack 1, Service Pack
2, or the original XP gold.
Then use (borrow) a working pc to download and make the diskettes. Be sure
to get the correct set for your version & service pack of XP.
See MS Article 310994, How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994/

You need to do 1 download. Follow instructions. This process makes a set
of 6 diskettes

Obviously, you need to mark each diskette (1 to 6) so you know which is
which. <g>
- -
Run CHKDSK /P from within the XP Recovery Console !

Set pc BIOS to boot from diskette drive. Place diskette #1 in drive.
Reboot pc.
Once diskette 1 is loaded, you'll be prompted to load the rest of the set
( one by one).

The intent here is not to setup Windows XP, but rather to be able to get to
a point where the RECOVERY CONSOLE can be selected.

Select the first option R Repair/Recovery Console. Select your Windows
partition by number. Usually it is 1 .

Login to XP with administrator password. (If there is no password, press
TAB key, and / or press Enter).

Then run CHKDSK /P from the command line. (In Recovery Console /P replaces
/F ).

Run it once (or repeat) until it shows no errors.
Run CHKDSK for each drive on your system.
CHKDSK /P :X where X is letter for disk drive

References for Recovery Console:
Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console - Article ID 314058
http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?kbid=314058

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/d­efault.aspx?kbid=307654

To exit the R Console, use the EXIT command.

*** EXTREMELY IMPORTANT *****

When you do log in to Recovery Console, & run CHKDSK ---it will complain
about "missing AUTOCHK.exe".
This is where you point it ---you'll need to type it ---
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32

Note: Your pc may have Windows at \WINNT .... if so, point to
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32

HTH. Do post back with your progress.
--
Maurice N