NTLDR is Missing....

This system was upgraded to Windows XP Home edition, from 98, when the
owner called with this problem, I figgured that it was the typical
Q314057 problem... However. I don;t think so anymore.

My reasons...

1. The upgrade was successfull, it worked for several days and the
owners were highly pleased with the results.

2. Before the problem reared it's ugly head, the owner had read email,
then closed outlook express and the desktop was all "messed up" so they
restarted the system. that's when the error started.

3. The full error never shows on the screen, just NTLDR is Missing, and
a flashing curser. no "press any key to restart" and the HD access
light is on steady... for over 24hrs it was left like this.

When I booted the system using the XP CD and got to the recovery
console, I was horrorfied to find that there were no files to be found
on the drive, BUT more then 7gb of space being used by somthing. This
is a 70+ GB drive partitioned into to relatively equal parts.

I Used a Win98 Boot disk and went into Fdisk to examine the partitions,
it listed the two partitions as expect however I was suprised to find
that they were FAT32 {I diden't realise that XP would install on
Fat32...but I guess you learn somthing every day}

I tried putting the drive into a working XP system to see if I could
read the contens that way, same thing, two roughly equal partitions,
one empty and unused, the other "empty" but 7GB used.

I tried using a freeware {Disk Investigator} to try to read the raw
data from some of the used clusters and did find some data, but why is
it not visiable to the system, as either files or folders?}

I suspect a rather nasty virus that the user got when reading that last
email session...that's then the troubles seemed to manifest. but
perhaps I am missing somthing? I invite suggestions and insight on this
matter. and is there any idea wf what I can do to recover the data?

Cheers!
Eric Malain
3 answers Last reply
More about ntldr missing

    I had a computer that came in with some similar (but not identical) symptoms.
    In that case, the MBR was hosed and I was able to use mbr fix (and I can't
    remember the exact syntax either--I seem to look it up each time I use it) to
    recover some data. However, the system was pretty much hosed.

    "Lyoncoeur" wrote:

    > This system was upgraded to Windows XP Home edition, from 98, when the
    > owner called with this problem, I figgured that it was the typical
    > Q314057 problem... However. I don;t think so anymore.
    >
    > My reasons...
    >
    > 1. The upgrade was successfull, it worked for several days and the
    > owners were highly pleased with the results.
    >
    > 2. Before the problem reared it's ugly head, the owner had read email,
    > then closed outlook express and the desktop was all "messed up" so they
    > restarted the system. that's when the error started.
    >
    > 3. The full error never shows on the screen, just NTLDR is Missing, and
    > a flashing curser. no "press any key to restart" and the HD access
    > light is on steady... for over 24hrs it was left like this.
    >
    > When I booted the system using the XP CD and got to the recovery
    > console, I was horrorfied to find that there were no files to be found
    > on the drive, BUT more then 7gb of space being used by somthing. This
    > is a 70+ GB drive partitioned into to relatively equal parts.
    >
    > I Used a Win98 Boot disk and went into Fdisk to examine the partitions,
    > it listed the two partitions as expect however I was suprised to find
    > that they were FAT32 {I diden't realise that XP would install on
    > Fat32...but I guess you learn somthing every day}
    >
    > I tried putting the drive into a working XP system to see if I could
    > read the contens that way, same thing, two roughly equal partitions,
    > one empty and unused, the other "empty" but 7GB used.
    >
    > I tried using a freeware {Disk Investigator} to try to read the raw
    > data from some of the used clusters and did find some data, but why is
    > it not visiable to the system, as either files or folders?}
    >
    > I suspect a rather nasty virus that the user got when reading that last
    > email session...that's then the troubles seemed to manifest. but
    > perhaps I am missing somthing? I invite suggestions and insight on this
    > matter. and is there any idea wf what I can do to recover the data?
    >
    > Cheers!
    > Eric Malain

    You could try either of the following:

    To recover the mbr of a single (not a dual boot system) boot to the A:
    prompt using a Win98 boot disk. At the prompt type fdisk/mbr to reinstall
    the mbr.

    NTFS WinXP systems can be recovered from the NTLDR error by creating an XP
    boot disk (dont know if a FAT32 XP system will respond to this though it
    wont cause any damage trying). To create an XP disk, on a usable XP system
    simply format a floppy (it must be formatted on the XP NTFS system), copy
    the following files from the C: drive to the disk, Boot.ini, NTLDR and
    Ntdetect.com. (These are hidden files that are only visible by entering the
    Folder options and on the view tab selecting show hidden files and folders
    and disabling hide protected operating system files (recommended)). A
    corrupted system will simply load these files from the A: drive and then
    load the OS as normal. These missing/corrupted files can then be simply
    copied back to the C: drive.

    Hope this helps Linden

    "Lyoncoeur" <lyoncoeur@gmail.com> wrote:

    >This system was upgraded to Windows XP Home edition, from 98, when the
    >owner called with this problem, I figgured that it was the typical
    >Q314057 problem... However. I don;t think so anymore.
    >
    >My reasons...
    >
    >1. The upgrade was successfull, it worked for several days and the
    >owners were highly pleased with the results.
    >
    >2. Before the problem reared it's ugly head, the owner had read email,
    >then closed outlook express and the desktop was all "messed up" so they
    >restarted the system. that's when the error started.
    >
    >3. The full error never shows on the screen, just NTLDR is Missing, and
    >a flashing curser. no "press any key to restart" and the HD access
    >light is on steady... for over 24hrs it was left like this.
    >
    >When I booted the system using the XP CD and got to the recovery
    >console, I was horrorfied to find that there were no files to be found
    >on the drive, BUT more then 7gb of space being used by somthing. This
    >is a 70+ GB drive partitioned into to relatively equal parts.
    >
    >I Used a Win98 Boot disk and went into Fdisk to examine the partitions,
    >it listed the two partitions as expect however I was suprised to find
    >that they were FAT32 {I diden't realise that XP would install on
    >Fat32...but I guess you learn somthing every day}
    >
    >I tried putting the drive into a working XP system to see if I could
    >read the contens that way, same thing, two roughly equal partitions,
    >one empty and unused, the other "empty" but 7GB used.
    >
    >I tried using a freeware {Disk Investigator} to try to read the raw
    >data from some of the used clusters and did find some data, but why is
    >it not visiable to the system, as either files or folders?}
    >
    >I suspect a rather nasty virus that the user got when reading that last
    >email session...that's then the troubles seemed to manifest. but
    >perhaps I am missing somthing? I invite suggestions and insight on this
    >matter. and is there any idea wf what I can do to recover the data?
    >
    >Cheers!
    >Eric Malain

    Boot the computer with the Windows XP CD.

    From the menu choose the option R for Repair (Recovery Console)

    When the Recovery Console is loaded enter the following command:

    FIXBOOT C:

    Reboot the computer and see if that has repaired the problem. It
    should.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --