CityFido in Vancouver

Unlimited local calls sounds good, but how much does it cost to call
voicemail? Is the15¢ charge per email message sent or received only charged
for messages sent/recieved from your mobile, or does this also apply to fido
webmail (i heard you can filter which messages are forwarded to your phone).
Can you use pop or imap to send and recieve emai, without this I dont see
any way to use any form of public key encryption (gpg/pgp etc).

Any hidden costs I don't know about? I'd like to know what your overall
experience has been like with CityFido.

Can you use msn messenger? Is data transfer expensive?

PEACE,
Ben

Ben Peres wrote:
> voicemail? Is the15¢ charge per email message sent or received only charged
> for messages sent/recieved from your mobile, or does this also apply to fido
> webmail (i heard you can filter which messages are forwarded to your phone).

Access to the web interface for your account is not charged. (it doesn't take
up any airtime)

> Can you use pop or imap to send and recieve emai, without this I dont see
> any way to use any form of public key encryption (gpg/pgp etc).

Not for your fido email address. It can only be accessed as a received SMS on
your phone or via the web mail interface. SMSs are encrypted over the air, as
are phone conversations.

> Any hidden costs I don't know about?

Ask about of there are any hard limits on the number of minutes or not. Fido
seems to have changed its minds on this a few times. At one point the
"unlimited" used to mean 5000 maximum minutes, but no extra charge if you went
above it, but Fido reserved right to slap you on the wrist or whatever other
undefined action.

> Can you use msn messenger? Is data transfer expensive?

You can purchase "bulk" data. $5.00 for 500k, $25 for 5 megs, and I think $50
for unlimited data transfer. You can run pretty much any application you want
on your laptop using the phone as a glorified modem (via GPRS connection).
That is above and beyond the basic CityFido package.

JF Mezei wrote:
> Ben Peres wrote:
>
>>voicemail? Is the15¢ charge per email message sent or received only charged
>>for messages sent/recieved from your mobile, or does this also apply to fido
>>webmail (i heard you can filter which messages are forwarded to your phone).
>

> Access to the web interface for your account is not charged. (it doesn't take
> up any airtime)
>

>>Can you use pop or imap to send and recieve emai, without this I dont see
>>any way to use any form of public key encryption (gpg/pgp etc).
>

> Not for your fido email address. It can only be accessed as a received SMS on
> your phone or via the web mail interface. SMSs are encrypted over the air, as
> are phone conversations.
>

>>Any hidden costs I don't know about?
>

> Ask about of there are any hard limits on the number of minutes or not. Fido
> seems to have changed its minds on this a few times. At one point the
> "unlimited" used to mean 5000 maximum minutes, but no extra charge if you went
> above it, but Fido reserved right to slap you on the wrist or whatever other
> undefined action.
>

>>Can you use msn messenger? Is data transfer expensive?
>

> You can purchase "bulk" data. $5.00 for 500k, $25 for 5 megs, and I think $50
> for unlimited data transfer. You can run pretty much any application you want
> on your laptop using the phone as a glorified modem (via GPRS connection).
> That is above and beyond the basic CityFido package.

And what about voivemail. If you hit the voicemail key on your phone,
are you charged air time while you're connected? Would dialing your own
number from your mobile, connecting you to your voicemail, allow you to
get away with not paying air time to use voicemail? (because all
local calls are free.)

Ben

ALL local calls are free! Why would calling your VM be any different seeing
that it's a local number?