Sign in with
Your question

Did I fry my GPU beyond repair?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 20, 2005 11:10:57 PM

hi there, I built a wonderful watercooled system a while ago. To make a long story short, I was doing some work on it, and after 36 hour leak testing, a half-hour of counter-strike source heated the water enough to let it leak onto my video card. I reset the computer before i knew what was happening and everything looked fine, then i immediately shut it down once i saw the leak. I dried everything off as best i could, but i got the "you fried your video card, dummy" error beep code when i tried to boot. A day or so later, after more drying, I was able to boot, enter the BIOS, and even start windows. The only problem is i can't actually see any of this going on because the screen is a big gray field with quivering, verticle lines running through it that sometimes turn into flashing boxes. Clearly there is still something wrong, but it is still a vast improvement from not booting at all. Has anyone seen this before? Is there hope that my video card will continue to get better? Or did I just throw $500 down the drain?

thanks!

Specs:

P4 3.4 Ghz
2gigs Corsair XMS PC-3200 RAM
Radeon x800xt
Audigy 2zs Platinum
2x Hitachi 160GB HDDS RAID 0
DVD/CD ROM, DVD Writer
ABIT IC7 G Max II Mobo
Windows XP HE

More about : fry gpu repair

January 21, 2005 12:24:16 AM

Tut Tut, more money than brains lol. Sorry for that remark.

Yes u have fried your card like Egg fried rice but not as tasty as Egg fried rice, dam i am hungry.

Anyways try to RMA its worth a try, just say it stopped working and lets see what happens otherwise its your fault, i doubt it can be fixed, its game over, i doubt ati will replace or the vender.

I have never seen a water kit leak because it got warm dont you have steel pipe fasteners or a over spillage Box/cap thingy to open air?

("thingy" is a very highly respected technical word OK!)
January 21, 2005 12:51:35 AM

Well, that's part of the long story....The system was up and running very well for about a few months. Then I discovered a very small, very slow leak coming from a corner of my resevoir. So, over christmas break i replaced the resevoir and used the opportunity to also replace the brittlle vinyl tubing with nice supple tygon r-3603 i aquired from a chem-lab shop. So after 36 hours of leak testing, i decided it was safe to give El Hombre II a trial run with his new innards. It was after 30 or 40 minutes of CS:S that I noticed the leak. I had all metal clamps, but the pressure of the metal clamp on the DD RBX block seemed to be part of the problem...fluid was squeezing into the space in the tube between where the clamp was screwed down and the base of the block...in subsequent testing, tightening the clamp seemed to only pressurize the leak. Cutting an extra piece of tubing and wrapping it around the base alog with a clmap fixed the problem, but, alas, it seems the damage has already been done. Unfortunately, i have many more brains than dollars (thogh i keep both in jars on my dresser), so I will ahve to wait until after another summer of work to replace the card with something comparable. I was going to get more opinions about wheter more drying might fix my probloem before i try reataching the fan and RMAing. It's deffinitely not covered in visiontek's lifetime warranty, but, as you say, it's worth a try.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
January 21, 2005 5:00:04 AM

This is why I use some form of clear gasket maker "Silicon". I put some in the threads, and even take the face plate off of the waterblock and put a thin bead around the outcide perimeter of the gasket.

Where did you get the card from? How long have you had the card?
January 21, 2005 5:31:57 AM

I got the card online from visiontek...I've had it since about september. I always use teflon tape on all the threads, but i tend to only use sillicon caulk to fix leaks. But using it preemtively is certainly a good idea.
January 21, 2005 8:55:52 AM

I Feel sorry for you man my prayers are with you i would kill my self if i messed my 6800 ultra or more X800XT card well more my x800xt card as i only brought the 6800ultra for £50.
!