Please_help,_renamed_HD_now_I_ca

June 3, 2005 2:54:03 PM

After having to reinstall WindowsXP a while Back, when it installed, it
installed and made itself in an E: drive instead of the default C:. Fine. I
Stayed with it like that for many months but had run into trouble with some
programs during installation that wouldn´t allow me to change the drive
letter of installation which meant that I couldn´t install the program. I
used partition magic to rename the drive from E: to C: . Now I cannot boot
back into windows at all. I tried a repair install and still I get the same
issue. I get as far as the advanced windows boot menu which offers such
options as booting in safe mode. but choosing any of those options does not
get me into windows. I would like to know if it is possible to fix this
issue without having to do a clean install of the OS. I am able to boot on to
the PC using a linux live disk so modifying files to get windows to work isn
a problem. Please help, much appreciated.

More about : renamed

Anonymous
June 3, 2005 3:24:02 PM

You might try doing the repair install again and this time disconnect all
drives EXCEPT for the system drive and the CD drive. Partition Magic has its
uses, but when it messes things up it's not always easy to fix the problem.

"Fonz" wrote:

> After having to reinstall WindowsXP a while Back, when it installed, it
> installed and made itself in an E: drive instead of the default C:. Fine. I
> Stayed with it like that for many months but had run into trouble with some
> programs during installation that wouldn´t allow me to change the drive
> letter of installation which meant that I couldn´t install the program. I
> used partition magic to rename the drive from E: to C: . Now I cannot boot
> back into windows at all. I tried a repair install and still I get the same
> issue. I get as far as the advanced windows boot menu which offers such
> options as booting in safe mode. but choosing any of those options does not
> get me into windows. I would like to know if it is possible to fix this
> issue without having to do a clean install of the OS. I am able to boot on to
> the PC using a linux live disk so modifying files to get windows to work isn
> a problem. Please help, much appreciated.
Anonymous
June 12, 2005 8:00:35 PM