rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Best deals or worse rip-off's....

I like eBay its like a game sometimes. I built my Rents comp from all eBay.

Somethings:
1. Always ask questions.
2. Read the Feedback.
3. Make sure your Feedback is good.
4. Dont do a Bid War.
5. Buy It Now... only if the price is good or Free S&H over Action price + S&H.

Theres alot of stuff to learn about. Heck they have books on it.

-------
<font color=red>Offical Bad Guy of THGC</font color=red>

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
i agree, i used ebay for a long time and built up a little black book of reliable trading partners and now just use them, there were a lot of hassles with ebay as of late, and i have pretty much stopped doing the auctions period, people not paying and people not delivering what they promised, got too costly for me with no solutions, and the ebay safe harbor...what a joke! they never accomplished anything with the problems i had, suspended the offender, big deal! wheres my money?!?! and paypal is just as bad! they recovered 16 cents, thats right 16 cents!!!! of a 45.00 auction that the seller never sent the goods! its just not worth the aggravation anymore:(

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.

march

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2002
Can you help me pick components and vendors for building a computer, for Word, email and photoshop. Would like to build (or buy) for less than $400.00 (including XP - home version I suspect would be ok). I need a 17" CRT or LCD too. Local chains offer HP or Compaq Celeron/2.5 MHz, 40 GB systems with CRT for $350-$450. Perhaps I should avoid the work and just buy from them? What do you think?

Thanks for sharing your secrets

Coyote

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003
Requests for help with components are answered often under the cpu forum. You may wish to reveiw the answers given over there, or perhaps better, post your question on that forum.

I think you'll end with a better if you build yourself. Due to personal experience -stay away from HP!

XP 2000+
MSI KT3 ULTRA-2 KT333
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB PC2700
ABIT G4 Ti4200 OTES 64MB
Win98SE

allanon1965

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2003
well, the shipping for the monitor will be just as much as the monitor itself, if bought on ebay, maybe more! i always buy monitors locally usually used from the local shop, there is one fella in particular that has always done me good on ebay, his user id is juliantan@aol.com check his auctions and you will find a great deal of items that will suit your needs, with the exception of a case. i am currently running an msi combo KM2M with 256 crucial ddr, athlon XP1800+, 30 gig maxtor hd, floppy, sony 24X burner, 5.1 4 channel crystal sound card,tv-tuner card( so i can watch crank yankers while i surf!)on a hp ultra vga 1280 17in. crt monitor, NIC card and soon a radeon 9200 agp video card, it runs very well and stays modestly cool in the small mini atx acer desktop case(31C under a load) i am quite pleased with the results, plays every game i have, surfs great! and runs ms home publisher, and ms word 2000 flawlessly. it will overclock pretty decent too if i want to, had it up to 2100+ with a minimal increase in temp(39C). this works for me and is basically what im building right now, its about 425.00 but thats without an operating system, and i had XP Pro and i didnt like it at all, win98SE was much more stable with my hardware and software, you may have better results, but i doubt it. winxp always finds something it doesnt like.

Fat, Drunk, and Stupid is no way to go through life Son.