Sign in with
Your question

Remote Access and VGA capability

Last response: in Business Computing
August 17, 2012 2:50:52 PM

Hi,

Here's my situation..
I use my workstation for heavy CAD.
My workstation's server has plenty of upload speed for internet connection over 20MBPS
I tried remote connection from my home, trying to do some work at home.
For some reason, my CAD was super slow where I can't even rotate my parts.
Basic computing was not snappy but working.
The laptop is use is D420 from Dell.. ULV Dual Core 32 bit with GMA950..
I use remote access from microsoft with VPN connection.

Here's my question..
Is CAD slow in remote access because of my laptop's low-end integrated graphics?
Or is it just has to do with my home internet speed?
I know that I'm using my workstation's power when I run remote access...
Does it matter what type of computer I have as the drone??

Anyone has experience with remote access regards to similar issue?
August 17, 2012 2:59:01 PM

The internet speed, ping, remote connection settings.
September 5, 2012 3:02:54 PM

CAD and other programs of that type are not good for remote access over the internet, the connection is too slow. Plus VPN slows it down even further.
September 5, 2012 3:51:22 PM

As others have stated, the bottleneck here is not really the client device that you are using to make the remote desktop connection, it's in the connection itself. Part of this is internet speed, part of it is the remote desktop protocol itself. While your upload server may have a very high upload rate, your home internet download and upload are still factors that have to be considered. Remote desktop not only receives information about what is happening at the remote location, but it also must upload data about what input you are giving. All of this requires quite a bit of throughput with reduced latency to give you a workable environment. However, even when you are using RDP in the same LAN on a 10/100 switch or perhaps even gigabit, there are enough limitations in the way that RDP works that it's still going to give you a laggy experience. While it's going to be much more responsive than doing remote desktop through the internet in two whole different locations, it's still going to have some load lad and some delay between your input and response.

This can be evident in our office where even using a gigabit switch directly between two computers, when you view a video using remote desktop for Windows (RDP service) even on computers with ample hardware, the playback of the video at any size greater than a very small window will be choppy and not near as crisp.

The next step up would be using the PCoIP protocol used in Teradici solutions like VMWare View to be able to have a more robust remote desktop protocol. I've seen PCoIP used before in some demos where it could be used for this kind of work, even from home with the right internet connection, and have a much more functional work environment. However, this is expensive and complex to implement!
!