Win XP2 Boot

June 4, 2005 1:55:00 PM

For the last couple of days, when I boot Win XP, a window
automatically opens (System 32). The first time it happened
there was an error message which unfortunately, I did not write
down. If I close this window, the system seems to perform
normally. The HDD is spyware and virus free. Where should I
start looking for the problem, and how do I fix it?

Many thanks in advance

Brian Bosley

More about : win xp2 boot

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 1:55:01 PM

System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086

For an automated Edit go here:

Read the instructions at the top of the page.
Scroll down to:
260. Right hand side.
System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:j56oe.838$Qh7.7698@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au,
Brian Bosley <bosbrian@ozemail.com.au> hunted and pecked:
> For the last couple of days, when I boot Win XP, a window
> automatically opens (System 32). The first time it happened
> there was an error message which unfortunately, I did not write
> down. If I close this window, the system seems to perform
> normally. The HDD is spyware and virus free. Where should I
> start looking for the problem, and how do I fix it?
>
> Many thanks in advance
>
> Brian Bosley
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 8:25:35 PM

> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
>
> For an automated Edit go here:
>
> Read the instructions at the top of the page.
> Scroll down to:
> 260. Right hand side.
> System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

Thanks Wes. I checked out those 2 links and applied the fix, but
I've still got the problem. The System32 folder opens last after
the desktop is in place. I also checked visually the registry
keys mentioned, and the only suspect (to me) entry was in
which was MSMSGS REG_SZ "C:\Program
Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background (placement of
parenthesis??)

Cheers

Brian Bosley
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 8:25:36 PM

Do you actually use Windows Messenger?

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:vPboe.924$Qh7.9725@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au,
Brian Bosley <bosbrian@ozemail.com.au> hunted and pecked:
>> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
>>
>> For an automated Edit go here:
>>
>> Read the instructions at the top of the page.
>> Scroll down to:
>> 260. Right hand side.
>> System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
> Thanks Wes. I checked out those 2 links and applied the fix, but
> I've still got the problem. The System32 folder opens last after
> the desktop is in place. I also checked visually the registry
> keys mentioned, and the only suspect (to me) entry was in
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
> which was MSMSGS REG_SZ "C:\Program
> Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background (placement of
> parenthesis??)
>
> Cheers
>
> Brian Bosley
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 8:42:39 PM

Hi Wes,

I've fixed the problem by performing a system restore from a week
back. Seemed the easiest thing to do in the circumstances.
Thanks for your interest and help. (I've bookmarked those 2
links for future ref, thanks)

Brian Bosley
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 8:42:40 PM

Glad to hear it, Brian. Keep having fun. :-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:B3coe.925$Qh7.9279@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au,
Brian Bosley <bosbrian@ozemail.com.au> hunted and pecked:
> Hi Wes,
>
> I've fixed the problem by performing a system restore from a week
> back. Seemed the easiest thing to do in the circumstances.
> Thanks for your interest and help. (I've bookmarked those 2
> links for future ref, thanks)
>
> Brian Bosley
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 11:55:54 AM

> Do you actually use Windows Messenger?

Never

> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:vPboe.924$Qh7.9725@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au,
> Brian Bosley <bosbrian@ozemail.com.au> hunted and pecked:
>>> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
>>>
>>> For an automated Edit go here:
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>>>
>>> Read the instructions at the top of the page.
>>> Scroll down to:
>>> 260. Right hand side.
>>> System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>> Thanks Wes. I checked out those 2 links and applied the fix,
>> but
>> I've still got the problem. The System32 folder opens last
>> after
>> the desktop is in place. I also checked visually the registry
>> keys mentioned, and the only suspect (to me) entry was in
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>> which was MSMSGS REG_SZ "C:\Program
>> Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background (placement of
>> parenthesis??)
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Brian Bosley
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 11:58:15 AM

> Do you actually use Windows Messenger?

Never. I've also noticed that now OE is VERY slow to open and
change between ng's, sometimes even not responding.

Brian
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>
> Wes
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> In news:vPboe.924$Qh7.9725@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au,
> Brian Bosley <bosbrian@ozemail.com.au> hunted and pecked:
>>> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
>>>
>>> For an automated Edit go here:
>>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
>>>
>>> Read the instructions at the top of the page.
>>> Scroll down to:
>>> 260. Right hand side.
>>> System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
>>>
>>> --
>>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>>
>>> Wes
>>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>> Thanks Wes. I checked out those 2 links and applied the fix,
>> but
>> I've still got the problem. The System32 folder opens last
>> after
>> the desktop is in place. I also checked visually the registry
>> keys mentioned, and the only suspect (to me) entry was in
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>> which was MSMSGS REG_SZ "C:\Program
>> Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background (placement of
>> parenthesis??)
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Brian Bosley
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 11:58:16 AM

Brian,

If you do not use Windows Messenger you do not need it running.

This will stop Messenger from starting...
Navigate to...

Right click on MSMSGS | Select Delete | Click YES to "Are you sure you want
to delete this value?"

Then go here and either follow the instructions to remove Windows Messenger
manually or download and run the script...
[[This is a Visual Basic Script file which will remove Windows® Messenger
from Windows® XP. It will also adjust your System Registry to prevent a long
delay when opening Outlook Express when Windows Messenger is removed or
disabled.]]
Remove Windows Messenger
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm

Also disable the Messenger service...
Disabling Messenger Service in Windows XP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/howto/comm...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:Ztpoe.1018$Qh7.12867@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au,
Brian Bosley <bosbrian@ozemail.com.au> hunted and pecked:
>> Do you actually use Windows Messenger?
>>
> Never. I've also noticed that now OE is VERY slow to open and
> change between ng's, sometimes even not responding.
>
> Brian
>> --
>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
>>
>> Wes
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> In news:vPboe.924$Qh7.9725@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au,
>> Brian Bosley <bosbrian@ozemail.com.au> hunted and pecked:

>>> Thanks Wes. I checked out those 2 links and applied the fix,
>>> but
>>> I've still got the problem. The System32 folder opens last
>>> after
>>> the desktop is in place. I also checked visually the registry
>>> keys mentioned, and the only suspect (to me) entry was in
>>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
>>> which was MSMSGS REG_SZ "C:\Program
>>> Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background (placement of
>>> parenthesis??)
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Brian Bosley
Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:25:14 AM

Thanks Wes,

That's done the trick. Outlook Express now opens with no delay.

Brian

Anonymous
June 7, 2005 12:25:15 AM

Keep having fun! :-)