Win XP2 Boot

For the last couple of days, when I boot Win XP, a window
automatically opens (System 32). The first time it happened
there was an error message which unfortunately, I did not write
down. If I close this window, the system seems to perform
normally. The HDD is spyware and virus free. Where should I
start looking for the problem, and how do I fix it?

Many thanks in advance

Brian Bosley
10 answers Last reply
More about boot

    System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086

    For an automated Edit go here:

    Read the instructions at the top of the page.
    Scroll down to:
    260. Right hand side.
    System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:j56oe.838$Qh7.7698@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au,
    Brian Bosley <bosbrian@ozemail.com.au> hunted and pecked:

    > System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
    > http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
    >
    > For an automated Edit go here:
    >
    > Read the instructions at the top of the page.
    > Scroll down to:
    > 260. Right hand side.
    > System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    Thanks Wes. I checked out those 2 links and applied the fix, but
    I've still got the problem. The System32 folder opens last after
    the desktop is in place. I also checked visually the registry
    keys mentioned, and the only suspect (to me) entry was in
    which was MSMSGS REG_SZ "C:\Program
    Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background (placement of
    parenthesis??)

    Cheers

    Brian Bosley

    Do you actually use Windows Messenger?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:vPboe.924$Qh7.9725@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au,
    Brian Bosley <bosbrian@ozemail.com.au> hunted and pecked:
    >> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
    >>
    >> For an automated Edit go here:
    >>
    >> Read the instructions at the top of the page.
    >> Scroll down to:
    >> 260. Right hand side.
    >> System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    > Thanks Wes. I checked out those 2 links and applied the fix, but
    > I've still got the problem. The System32 folder opens last after
    > the desktop is in place. I also checked visually the registry
    > keys mentioned, and the only suspect (to me) entry was in
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    > which was MSMSGS REG_SZ "C:\Program
    > Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background (placement of
    > parenthesis??)
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Brian Bosley

    Hi Wes,

    I've fixed the problem by performing a system restore from a week
    back. Seemed the easiest thing to do in the circumstances.
    Thanks for your interest and help. (I've bookmarked those 2
    links for future ref, thanks)

    Brian Bosley

    Glad to hear it, Brian. Keep having fun. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:B3coe.925$Qh7.9279@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au,

    > Do you actually use Windows Messenger?

    Never

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:vPboe.924$Qh7.9725@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au,
    > Brian Bosley <bosbrian@ozemail.com.au> hunted and pecked:
    >>> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
    >>>
    >>> For an automated Edit go here:
    >>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    >>>
    >>> Read the instructions at the top of the page.
    >>> Scroll down to:
    >>> 260. Right hand side.
    >>> System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>>
    >>> Wes
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >> Thanks Wes. I checked out those 2 links and applied the fix,
    >> but
    >> I've still got the problem. The System32 folder opens last
    >> after
    >> the desktop is in place. I also checked visually the registry
    >> keys mentioned, and the only suspect (to me) entry was in
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >> which was MSMSGS REG_SZ "C:\Program
    >> Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background (placement of
    >> parenthesis??)
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Brian Bosley

    > Do you actually use Windows Messenger?

    Never. I've also noticed that now OE is VERY slow to open and
    change between ng's, sometimes even not responding.

    Brian
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:vPboe.924$Qh7.9725@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au,
    > Brian Bosley <bosbrian@ozemail.com.au> hunted and pecked:
    >>> System32 Folder Opens When Logging on to Windows XP
    >>> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=170086
    >>>
    >>> For an automated Edit go here:
    >>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    >>>
    >>> Read the instructions at the top of the page.
    >>> Scroll down to:
    >>> 260. Right hand side.
    >>> System32 Folder Opens Upon Boot
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>>
    >>> Wes
    >>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>>
    >> Thanks Wes. I checked out those 2 links and applied the fix,
    >> but
    >> I've still got the problem. The System32 folder opens last
    >> after
    >> the desktop is in place. I also checked visually the registry
    >> keys mentioned, and the only suspect (to me) entry was in
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >> which was MSMSGS REG_SZ "C:\Program
    >> Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background (placement of
    >> parenthesis??)
    >>
    >> Cheers
    >>
    >> Brian Bosley

    Brian,

    If you do not use Windows Messenger you do not need it running.

    This will stop Messenger from starting...
    Navigate to...

    Right click on MSMSGS | Select Delete | Click YES to "Are you sure you want
    to delete this value?"

    Then go here and either follow the instructions to remove Windows Messenger
    manually or download and run the script...
    [[This is a Visual Basic Script file which will remove Windows® Messenger
    from Windows® XP. It will also adjust your System Registry to prevent a long
    delay when opening Outlook Express when Windows Messenger is removed or
    disabled.]]
    Remove Windows Messenger
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm

    Also disable the Messenger service...
    Disabling Messenger Service in Windows XP

    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:Ztpoe.1018$Qh7.12867@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au,
    Brian Bosley <bosbrian@ozemail.com.au> hunted and pecked:
    >> Do you actually use Windows Messenger?
    >>
    > Never. I've also noticed that now OE is VERY slow to open and
    > change between ng's, sometimes even not responding.
    >
    > Brian
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:vPboe.924$Qh7.9725@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au,
    >> Brian Bosley <bosbrian@ozemail.com.au> hunted and pecked:

    >>> Thanks Wes. I checked out those 2 links and applied the fix,
    >>> but
    >>> I've still got the problem. The System32 folder opens last
    >>> after
    >>> the desktop is in place. I also checked visually the registry
    >>> keys mentioned, and the only suspect (to me) entry was in
    >>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >>> which was MSMSGS REG_SZ "C:\Program
    >>> Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe" /background (placement of
    >>> parenthesis??)
    >>>
    >>> Cheers
    >>>
    >>> Brian Bosley

    Thanks Wes,

    That's done the trick. Outlook Express now opens with no delay.

    Brian

    Keep having fun! :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:ewVoe.523$z33.3633@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au,
    Brian Bosley <bosbrian@ozemail.com.au> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks Wes,
    >
    > That's done the trick. Outlook Express now opens with no delay.
    >
    > Brian

    >> Brian,
    >>
    >> If you do not use Windows Messenger you do not need it running.
    >>
    >> This will stop Messenger from starting...
    >> Navigate to...
    >>
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
    >>
    >> Right click on MSMSGS | Select Delete | Click YES to "Are you
    >> sure you want
    >> to delete this value?"
    >>
    >> Then go here and either follow the instructions to remove
    >> Windows Messenger
    >> manually or download and run the script...
    >> [[This is a Visual Basic Script file which will remove Windows®
    >> Messenger
    >> from Windows® XP. It will also adjust your System Registry to
    >> prevent a long
    >> delay when opening Outlook Express when Windows Messenger is
    >> removed or
    >> disabled.]]
    >> Remove Windows Messenger
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm
    >>
    >> Also disable the Messenger service...
    >> Disabling Messenger Service in Windows XP

    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:Ztpoe.1018$Qh7.12867@nnrp1.ozemail.com.au,
    >> Brian Bosley <bosbrian@ozemail.com.au> hunted and pecked:
    >>>>
    >>> Never. I've also noticed that now OE is VERY slow to open and
    >>> change between ng's, sometimes even not responding.
    >>>
    >>> Brian

Boot Windows XP