Wireless help

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Netgear MR814V2, firmware is 5.01 (I haven't upgraded yet), Lucent Orinoco
Silver, Windows XP...

The wireless connection drops in and out. Signal strength is "good" and
remains at 11mbps when connected, but randomly drops. I've tried several
channels thinking there may be a neighbor on a 2.4Ghz phone. No help.

Seems to occur when I'm opening half a dozen pages at once, ie, when there's
a bit more network traffic than usual. Then again file transfers don't
necessarily cause it, so who knows.

Basically the connection goes unavailable and shows up as "disconnected" and
then a short (random) time later everything comes right back up. Sitting
two feet from the access point doesn't help either (its not a range or
signal strength issue).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

rico

In article <c5ftnj$g5o$1@reader1.panix.com>, "User" <user@host.net> wrote:
>Netgear MR814V2, firmware is 5.01 (I haven't upgraded yet), Lucent Orinoco
>Silver, Windows XP...
>
>The wireless connection drops in and out. Signal strength is "good" and
>remains at 11mbps when connected, but randomly drops. I've tried several
>channels thinking there may be a neighbor on a 2.4Ghz phone. No help.
>
>Seems to occur when I'm opening half a dozen pages at once, ie, when there's
>a bit more network traffic than usual. Then again file transfers don't
>necessarily cause it, so who knows.
>
>Basically the connection goes unavailable and shows up as "disconnected" and
>then a short (random) time later everything comes right back up. Sitting
>two feet from the access point doesn't help either (its not a range or
>signal strength issue).
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks.

How far as the crow flies from your nieghbors? Got a microwave oven in your
house or theirs? How about 2.4GHz phone? Got a garage door opener for the
wife? What kind of burglar alarms are near by?

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

> How far as the crow flies from your nieghbors? Got a microwave oven in
your
> house or theirs? How about 2.4GHz phone? Got a garage door opener for the
> wife? What kind of burglar alarms are near by?

Are you serious? This is crazy. Are there ANY channels I can use that will
be on the edge of other devices' possible operating range? Say I was in
Japan on Channel 14....

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

It's not *necessarily* interference. My D-Link router occasionally has
problems with the ADSL subscriber access module in the central office.
Either the SAM, or the router, drops the PPOE connection. Sometimes, when
the router tries to re-establish, it gets into a loop. A few PPOE messages
are exchanged, the router times out, and apparently reboots. The PPOE state
machines remain out of synch, and this goes on until I power the router off
and let the messages from the SAM drain. Each time the router reboots, all
wifi connections are lost, so I originally thought the problem was due to
interference.

I can see this happening by watching the leds on the router - the M1and M2
lights blink, indicating reboot. I also have a hub inserted between the
router and the ADSL modem. I can see the link pulse light on the router port
cycle off, indicating that the the router's WAN port lost power.

I may be wrong about the root cause of this - maybe it's not a PPOE timeout,
maybe it's some other problem, like a PPOE parameter or malformed packet
that chokes the router - but it's clear that interference is not the issue
here, even though the symptom might make you think so.

Check to see if your router is rebooting, or possibly just dropping the wifi
port. The fact that you associate this problem with heavy network traffic
makes me suspect a router TCP/IP stack problem. One of the D-Link routers
(not mine) is rumored to have a stack problem that can cause similar wifi
interruptions.

"User" <user@host.net> wrote in message
> Netgear MR814V2, firmware is 5.01 (I haven't upgraded yet), Lucent Orinoco
> Silver, Windows XP...
>
> The wireless connection drops in and out. Signal strength is "good" and
> remains at 11mbps when connected, but randomly drops. I've tried several
> channels thinking there may be a neighbor on a 2.4Ghz phone. No help.
>
> Seems to occur when I'm opening half a dozen pages at once, ie, when
there's
> a bit more network traffic than usual. Then again file transfers don't
> necessarily cause it, so who knows.
>
> Basically the connection goes unavailable and shows up as "disconnected"
and
> then a short (random) time later everything comes right back up. Sitting
> two feet from the access point doesn't help either (its not a range or
> signal strength issue).
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.

rico

In article <c5gr1n$n3g$1@reader1.panix.com>, "User" <user@host.net> wrote:

>> How far as the crow flies from your nieghbors? Got a microwave oven in
>your
>> house or theirs? How about 2.4GHz phone? Got a garage door opener for the
>> wife? What kind of burglar alarms are near by?
>
>Are you serious? This is crazy. Are there ANY channels I can use that will
>be on the edge of other devices' possible operating range? Say I was in
>Japan on Channel 14....

Don't know how Japan has divided up the 2.4GHz band, but here in the US,
all sorts of wireless (remote control) gadgets are in the band. I have a
X10 camara that when ever I power it up, takes down my network and a
neighbor's several doors down (he is far enough away, his net isn't seen by
my laptop anywhere in my house, but that X10 just blasts him. We are good
friends and actually use channels at opposite ends of the range (he is 11,
I'm on 1). Thing is in the US it is an unlicensed band for low power
consumer devices. As a result all sort of things use that band. I drive a
Dodge and my keyless entry uses that band. Luckily that signal is very
brief.