SP 2 problem

i am running window xp. i couldn't connect to the internet, but i could
ping a website in the cmd module. page would not be displayed in ie and
other programs wouldn't connect (e.g. aol instant messenger). i tried three
different network cards and did the netsh tcp restore. still, nothing. i
repaired the windows installation, but it took me back to pre-SP2 condition.
now my computer would connect fine...when i reinstalled sp2, it would
prevent me from going online again. i uninstalled sp2 and i was ok. this
all just started happening...i was fine with sp2 up until a few days ago.
what's going on?
4 answers Last reply
More about problem

    :p Well, SP2 is supposed to protect you from bad things on the
    internet!
    I don't have an answer for you, I wouldn't run SP2.
    I have better protection than that.
    Good Luck,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    And what might that be, bearing in mind that SP2 rewrote some 5 million
    lines of code.. this was apart from the new firewall and Security Center?..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Treeman" <Treeman.1q3256@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    > :p Well, SP2 is supposed to protect you from bad things on the
    > internet!
    > I don't have an answer for you, I wouldn't run SP2.
    > I have better protection than that.
    > Good Luck,
    > Treeman
    >

    > --
    > Treeman

    > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

    Well Mike,
    How about a Sonicwall hardware / software firewall between a dchp / nat
    router, NOD32 Enterprise Edition Anti Virus, Counterspy, Pest Patrol,
    Ad-Aware, & Spybot. I Hate Spam for Outlook Express. A dedicated NAS
    drive that's offline with Casper XP, that let's me clone & restore the
    entire XP OS along with all applications, data, ect, within the Windows
    operating system.
    Including the knowledge to set-up, update and run these solutions.

    The 5 million lines of code your so proud are not so good for this
    computer because of simple facts like; Dep can't run on my processor,
    (Northwood) I get delayed write failures to an external firewire drive
    because someone felt that firewire was under attack from my digital
    camera, (write caching should work under any operating system) Perfnet
    & Dcom errors in event viewer. Now that said, I have SP2 running on two
    other computers here, without problems.
    On this computer, I went to tier 5 of MS support, "Larry", in India had
    me re-install SP1 _over_the_top__ of SP2. The results were format &
    re-install everything; Thanks Larry!
    All this for a one way firewall, pop-up blocker, and balloon tips that
    tell me I've successfully printed a page from my printer! In hindsite,
    after the format and XP OS install, I should have tried SP2 again. I
    didn't. So I'll just sit here and try to help others out that are
    having problems. I noticed you were curious about me since I dissed
    SP2, but you didn't help out Rob Bresnik Mobile PC DR. the OP of this
    thread. His complaint is valid, and shows a real problem. But it's
    probably spyware on his computer, right ;)
    To be fair, if I get into trouble because I don't have SP2, I'll format
    & install it right away, along with the numerous hotfixes since it came
    out.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    "Treeman" <Treeman.1q3zh3@no-mx.msusenet.com> wrote in message

    > Well Mike,
    > How about a Sonicwall hardware / software firewall between a dchp / nat
    > router, NOD32 Enterprise Edition Anti Virus, Counterspy, Pest Patrol,
    > Ad-Aware, & Spybot. I Hate Spam for Outlook Express. A dedicated NAS
    > drive that's offline with Casper XP, that let's me clone & restore the
    > entire XP OS along with all applications, data, ect, within the Windows
    > operating system.
    > Including the knowledge to set-up, update and run these solutions.
    >
    > The 5 million lines of code your so proud are not so good for this
    > computer because of simple facts like; Dep can't run on my processor,
    > (Northwood) I get delayed write failures to an external firewire drive
    > because someone felt that firewire was under attack from my digital
    > camera, (write caching should work under any operating system) Perfnet
    > & Dcom errors in event viewer. Now that said, I have SP2 running on two
    > other computers here, without problems.
    > On this computer, I went to tier 5 of MS support, "Larry", in India had
    > me re-install SP1 _over_the_top__ of SP2. The results were format &
    > re-install everything; Thanks Larry!
    > All this for a one way firewall, pop-up blocker, and balloon tips that
    > tell me I've successfully printed a page from my printer! In hindsite,
    > after the format and XP OS install, I should have tried SP2 again. I
    > didn't. So I'll just sit here and try to help others out that are
    > having problems. I noticed you were curious about me since I dissed
    > SP2, but you didn't help out Rob Bresnik Mobile PC DR. the OP of this
    > thread. His complaint is valid, and shows a real problem. But it's
    > probably spyware on his computer, right ;)
    > To be fair, if I get into trouble because I don't have SP2, I'll format
    > & install it right away, along with the numerous hotfixes since it came
    > out.
    > Best,
    > Treeman
    >

    > --
    > Treeman

    > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

    OK guys...i appreciate the banter. My computer worked fine with SP-2 up
    until a few days ago, but all of sudeen SP2 installed prevents a solid
    connection. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHY THIS IS? Kelly?

Connection Windows XP