Looking for PCB Chips

Last response: in Video Games
July 6, 2005 4:58:37 AM

Ok, I'm not an Expert at board repair so i don't know the technical
term for these chips, but they are the small black ones on an Omega
Race PCB I have. There is something like 12 of these on the board and
they are all the same chip. Numbers on the chip are TMS2114L-20NL
DP8136. There are 6 chips on my board that are rusted and the legs
have broken off. Does anyone know of where to get replacement ones?
Are these just a normal chip or do you have to have ones from another
Omega Race board to get it to work? Need 6 of them.

Mike
--
http://www.freewebs.com/arcadelinks/

More about : pcb chips

Anonymous
July 6, 2005 5:32:14 AM

At some point the battery was replaced so there is no acid damage on
the board. Thank God. Just that the game was sitting in a garage for
ten years so some of the things on the inside got a little rusted. But
all 3 boards look in very nice shape. Just when i was taking the chips
out to clean them, some of the legs broke off on 6 of them because of
being brittle. Good to hear they are a common chip. Thanks...

Mike
--
http://www.freewebs.com/arcadelinks/
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 8:01:49 AM

they are 2114 ram chips that are common to lots of games. Big dog or
someone sells chips on this group or you can go to www.findchips.com and put
in the number and order from who has in stock. That is a all to sad problem
with omega race. If your sockets look good then just put in new chips, but
I bet there is acid damage from battery and sockets need to be replaced as
well. Good luck

Trin
"DarkMagister" <shadowspawn@chartermi.net> wrote in message
> Ok, I'm not an Expert at board repair so i don't know the technical
> term for these chips, but they are the small black ones on an Omega
> Race PCB I have. There is something like 12 of these on the board and
> they are all the same chip. Numbers on the chip are TMS2114L-20NL
> DP8136. There are 6 chips on my board that are rusted and the legs
> have broken off. Does anyone know of where to get replacement ones?
> Are these just a normal chip or do you have to have ones from another
> Omega Race board to get it to work? Need 6 of them.
>
> Mike
> --
> http://www.freewebs.com/arcadelinks/

July 6, 2005 10:55:19 AM

If the chips are bad enough that the legs have rusted off, it's likely
you'll need to replace the sockets too. It won't hurt to give it a try
with the old sockets, but if you're still getting RAM errors on self
test, then it's likely the sockets.

Mike Doyle
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 1:08:42 PM

There's a good faq on soldering under the repair guides at
www.marvin3m.com

The thing to remember is this- you've got to start somewhere learning
repair, the risk is if you damage your board, some repair services will
not accept it since fixing traces, and un-doing mistakes is time
consuming and often exceeds the cost of a replacement board.

Socket replacement isn't hard, the important thing is to remember not
to use too much force, and to use the right tools. Probably the best
advice is to start out practicing on a junk board before you work on a
keeper.

Mike Doyle
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 3:37:47 PM

Went to that Find Chips site, but none of the places had
them.....Anyone have any to sell?

Mike
--
http://www.freewebs.com/arcadelinks/
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 3:40:33 PM

Oh...forgot to mention, the rust was at the top of the legs, not where
the legs go into the sockets. When i was cleaning then, the part that
goes into the socket cleaned up really nice. It was the top of the leg
by the chip that was rusted and broke off.

Mike
--
http://www.freewebs.com/arcadelinks/
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 7:50:07 PM

DarkMagister <shadowspawn@chartermi.net> wrote:
: Ok, I'm not an Expert at board repair so i don't know the technical
: term for these chips, but they are the small black ones on an Omega
: Race PCB I have. There is something like 12 of these on the board and
: they are all the same chip. Numbers on the chip are TMS2114L-20NL
: DP8136. There are 6 chips on my board that are rusted and the legs
: have broken off. Does anyone know of where to get replacement ones?
: Are these just a normal chip or do you have to have ones from another
: Omega Race board to get it to work? Need 6 of them.

They're standard 1kx4 srams that piles of arcade boards use.

Make sure you replace the sockets and the chips... and if you're not
good at soldering, don't try to do it yourself -- you only end up
destroying the board more!

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

Lol...Thanks Matt. Yeah i was checking the sites out on there. Just
figured someone might have a bunch of them I could get cheap since i'm
not sure if thats the only thing wrong with the board. Would be nice
if it is though.

Mike
--
http://www.freewebs.com/arcadelinks/
Anonymous
July 6, 2005 10:42:25 PM

DarkMagister <shadowspawn@chartermi.net> wrote:
: Went to that Find Chips site, but none of the places had
: them.....Anyone have any to sell?

Everyone has 2114's on findchips :)

I'd suggest hitting up bob roberts, or jameco / jdr microdevices / bg micro

--
!