Recovering files

igor

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Hi,

I have Windows XP home edition installed on my computer. I had to reinstall
Windows XP as I couldn't start the XP and would get blue screen saying -
Registry file failure: SystemRoot\System32\Config\Security is absent, corrupt
or cannot write to it.

I reinstalled on my second hard drive with a hope that I could recover files
that were saved on my first hard drive. I recovered some of them, however
files that were saved under my user name and on a desktop are not accessible
- C:\Documents and Settings\Igor is not accessible.

I would appreciate if anyone could tell me how to recover files that were
saved on a desktop and under my user name.

Thank you

Igor

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&Product=winxp
In XP Home you have to boot in safe mode to see the security tab. In
XP Pro you have to disable simple file sharing.

"Igor" <Igor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| I have Windows XP home edition installed on my computer. I had to
reinstall
| Windows XP as I couldn't start the XP and would get blue screen
saying -
| Registry file failure: SystemRoot\System32\Config\Security is
absent, corrupt
| or cannot write to it.
|
| I reinstalled on my second hard drive with a hope that I could
recover files
| that were saved on my first hard drive. I recovered some of them,
however
| files that were saved under my user name and on a desktop are not
accessible
| - C:\Documents and Settings\Igor is not accessible.
|
| I would appreciate if anyone could tell me how to recover files that
were
| saved on a desktop and under my user name.
|
| Thank you
|
| Igor

igor

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

Hi,

I cannot reboot in safe mode, last good configuration, etc........I get
asked to reboot in safe mode, but after I select it I get a blue screen with
the error mentioned earlier.

Igor