2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14-15 inch, something light and portable but powerful
3. What screen resolution do you want?
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
5. How much battery life do you need?
Not important - I will be using this at home and will be fine plugging it in.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes - I would like to be able to play World of Warcraft, and Star Wars The Old Republic at a decent setting with minimal lag. High settings would be awesome, but I'll take Medium if I find the right laptop.
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
This will be a personal computer used for school (writing papers), Internet (research, email), and gaming 3-4 hours/week.
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
At least 500 GB. I would LOVE an SSD if I can find one already installed.
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-4 years at least
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD RW only
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I have owned an Acer laptop before and had a stellar performance out of it with no problems. Currently have an HP desktop with no problems. These are the only two brands I've owned. I prefer Acer.
I do not like Dell or Gateway, have known too many people who've had problems with those brands.
13. What country do you live in? USA
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
I'm seeking a well-balanced laptop that will suit my school and research needs, basic Microsoft Office, and that's powerful enough to run WoW and SWTOR on medium to high settings with excellent performance. I've looked at the MSI GE60 as well as Asus, and those are a little bulkier than I want. My favorite model I've found so far is the Acer Aspire TimelineX 4830TG shown here:
Unfortunately I can't seem to find it anywhere that isn't refurbished.
In a nutshell, here are the minimum specs/features I would like:
Intel i5 dual-core processor (or i7 quad if affordable)
at least 500 GB hard drive
at least 4GB RAM, 6GM+ would be better
2.3ghz+ processing speed
DDR3 processing speed and at least a 5400rpm drive.
DEDICATED graphics card with at least 1GB VRAM
Something light, stylish and sleek. I'm a girl so the MSI (my second choice) looked far too boyish with the race car stripes.
Thank you all for your help --it is much appreciated!
This is a little larger than you want, but it's thin and still not real heavy at just over 5 lbs. It has a 15.6" screen at full HD (1920x1080). I just ordered one. Both Newegg and Amazon are selling it for the same price, $1029, and both have a $100 mail-in-rebate, bringing it to $939.