Icons have disappeared

June 4, 2005 8:01:37 AM

Hello folks,
I'm using Internet Explorer and I'm trying to get the original Icons back in
my favourites folder.
For example, when I bookmarked 'Google' I got Googles icon, the large letter
'G', when I bookmarked 'Yahoo'
I got their letter 'Y' and when I bookmarked 'eBay' I got their
multicoloured eBay icon.
I had a whole list of these icons next to my bookmarks and for no reason
they just disappeared.
Now all I've got are Internet Explorer icons.
I'd really like to get these original icons back.
All help and advice greatly appreciated.
Thanx in advance.

More about : icons disappeared

Anonymous
June 4, 2005 12:58:30 PM

The favicons are actually stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder, and
so they are cleared when you empty the TIF. To preserve the favicons, you
need to save the .ico file to a safe location, and then change the icon for
the URL files. There are utilities to automate this process, en-masse.
Follow this post of Alan Edwards, MVP

<quote>

Favicons are only temporary until cleared from your cache.
To make them permanent:
FavOrg-PCMag: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1558477,00.asp

or

The Code Project - FavIconizer:
http://www.codeproject.com/tools/faviconizer.asp

</quote>

Preserve the favicons using AM-Deadlink:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/favicon.htm

To implement this manually:

Visit that site and create a shortcut of it to the Desktop. Right-click the
URL shortcut, and Send To > Notepad. Look at the line reading IconFile.
Example: IconFile=http://www.google.co.in/favicon.ico

Now, type http://www.google.co.in/favicon.ico in the browser window and save
the .ico file locally. Change the URL icon using the "Change Icon" in it's
Properties sheet. Note that, Internet Explorer > View > Source can also be
used to view the favicon location.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User