Icons have disappeared

Hello folks,
I'm using Internet Explorer and I'm trying to get the original Icons back in
my favourites folder.
For example, when I bookmarked 'Google' I got Googles icon, the large letter
'G', when I bookmarked 'Yahoo'
I got their letter 'Y' and when I bookmarked 'eBay' I got their
multicoloured eBay icon.
I had a whole list of these icons next to my bookmarks and for no reason
they just disappeared.
Now all I've got are Internet Explorer icons.
I'd really like to get these original icons back.
All help and advice greatly appreciated.
Thanx in advance.
1 answer Last reply
More about icons disappeared

    The favicons are actually stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder, and
    so they are cleared when you empty the TIF. To preserve the favicons, you
    need to save the .ico file to a safe location, and then change the icon for
    the URL files. There are utilities to automate this process, en-masse.
    Follow this post of Alan Edwards, MVP

    <quote>

    Favicons are only temporary until cleared from your cache.
    To make them permanent:
    FavOrg-PCMag: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1558477,00.asp

    or

    The Code Project - FavIconizer:
    http://www.codeproject.com/tools/faviconizer.asp

    </quote>

    Preserve the favicons using AM-Deadlink:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/ie/favicon.htm

    To implement this manually:

    Visit that site and create a shortcut of it to the Desktop. Right-click the
    URL shortcut, and Send To > Notepad. Look at the line reading IconFile.
    Example: IconFile=http://www.google.co.in/favicon.ico

    Now, type http://www.google.co.in/favicon.ico in the browser window and save
    the .ico file locally. Change the URL icon using the "Change Icon" in it's
    Properties sheet. Note that, Internet Explorer > View > Source can also be
    used to view the favicon location.

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "zybbok" <zybbok@ukonline.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Hello folks,
    > I'm using Internet Explorer and I'm trying to get the original Icons back
    > in my favourites folder.
    > For example, when I bookmarked 'Google' I got Googles icon, the large
    > letter 'G', when I bookmarked 'Yahoo'
    > I got their letter 'Y' and when I bookmarked 'eBay' I got their
    > multicoloured eBay icon.
    > I had a whole list of these icons next to my bookmarks and for no reason
    > they just disappeared.
    > Now all I've got are Internet Explorer icons.
    > I'd really like to get these original icons back.
    > All help and advice greatly appreciated.
    > Thanx in advance.

Internet Explorer Icons Windows XP