Hey ho people.

I was going to get a 6600Gt 128mb Sparkle GPU for £147, but the shop has just gone out of stock. But I have found another local seller who stocks the 256mb variant of the card for £154.

My questions:
a) Is it worth the extra money
b) Overclocking wise, will the (I'm guessing) poorer quality ram be a problem?

Ned

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I have one of the Leadtek 6600GT TDH models. Its the 128MB version . It hits high scores on all the Benchmarks that I have run. I dont know about the 256MB version, sorry. One of the memory chips fried on the first one, but Newegg sent me another with no problems. I havent heard of this happening to anyone else so I think that it was just a screwy card. Luck of the draw I suppose.

To save us both time, assume I know EVERYTHING :tongue:

what overclock did you hit?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Didnt get a chance to OC yet, but check out the review over at Anandtech. It puts this one high on the list.

Got it working with a new mobo and CPU. But we are making a cheap Pc for my bro, so he is going to have my 9800pro, and me and my dad are going half each for a new card for me.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Just OC'd and benchmarked. You owe me one :smile:

3DMark 01 I ran it up to 551/1101 and got a score of 3701
3DMark 05 Score of 19595

That was the first run on each, so it may do better. Probably will. Im using PCI-Express and 512 of RAM. The AGP scores that I compared with are higher than mine.

you know you love me :lol:

Thanks...

P.S - you got the scores the wrong way round!

oh, and is that stock cooling?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Im doing good to get any numbers posted :smile:

The only thing that I have changed around in my case is the front and rear fans. I use the rear 120 to pull fresh air in and exhaust it through the front 120. Most of the air that the fan produces hits the video card and cpu so I guess its yes and no to your question. Im not liquid cooling the video card yet. The temps looked fine after I let it run for a few hours under a medium load.