XPSP2 Registry Problem - CLSID clue

June 4, 2005 2:25:49 PM

I'm runing a Pentium 4 2.8G Desktop with 160G HD and 512M RAM.

The machine appears to be working fine, except that any tools that scan the
registry (AD-aware, MS Antispyware, Registry Mechanic, Regedit) cause the
machine to re-boot when a particular CLSID is read.

To try to diagnose this, I've been using Regedit and "Find CLSID". I can
cause a reboot by searching either HKey_Current_User or HKey_Classes_Root.
It always appears to be the same key, but which key remains a mystery,
because the machine reboots!

The machine has been virus scanned using McAfee and Norton AV tools in safe
and normal modes and all all identified Spyware using Adaware, SPybot S&D,
HiJack This removed - bearing in mind I can't do a deep registry scan
because of the re-boot problem.

Any help gratefully received.

Best Regards

Steve
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 2:25:50 PM

Disable automatic restart on system failure (on SP2): Press F8 on restart, and see the menu item to disable auto restart. Restart,
and when the STOP message appears, record information needed for further troubleshooting.

--

Mark L. Ferguson
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509

!