Restore Recycle Bin to Desktop/WinExplore

Yesterday something happened that changed the direction of
some funtions to my PC...
All my file paths in the "SAVE AS" context menu dissappeared and I had no
way to save images or programs I download...Got that taken care of...
The start Menu lost several folders of which linked me to them ie:
My Computer icon, My pictures, etc....Got that taken care of too...
However...
one of the puzzling issues is my missing "Recycle bin".
It completely disappeared from not only the Desktop...but from the Windows
Explore list too..
I have been to Kelly's Tweaks and tips
(http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm)
and that is how I was able to repair/restore the previous mentioned...
And YES I have tried to run System Restore....it showed System Restore
Completed...however no restoration to the Recycle Bin function or icon
replacement changed....! (sigh)
And the instructions from Kelly's site to restore/replace the function of
the Recycle Bin failed as well...
Anyone have any further ideas of how I can get that back?
I know it still exists on the Hard drive, because as I use Disk Clean
up...it shows it to needing emptying....and I know I can access Disk Cleanup
to empty it...but one day I may accidentally delete something and wish to
retrieve it and won't be able to....(sighs ...Again)
Any help would be a blessing and greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance...
Apeke
3 answers Last reply
More about restore recycle desktop winexplore

    Recycle Bin Does Not Appear on the Desktop
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810869

    Recycle Bin = {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel
    or
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
    CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu
    Value Name: {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}
    Value Type: REG_DWORD
    Value Data: 0 or 1
    0 = Visible
    1 = Hidden

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:2D1FD07C-7A5F-402F-AE8F-484B29459B86@microsoft.com,
    apeke <apeke@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Yesterday something happened that changed the direction of
    > some funtions to my PC...
    > All my file paths in the "SAVE AS" context menu dissappeared and I had no
    > way to save images or programs I download...Got that taken care of...
    > The start Menu lost several folders of which linked me to them ie:
    > My Computer icon, My pictures, etc....Got that taken care of too...
    > However...
    > one of the puzzling issues is my missing "Recycle bin".
    > It completely disappeared from not only the Desktop...but from the Windows
    > Explore list too..
    > I have been to Kelly's Tweaks and tips
    > (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm)
    > and that is how I was able to repair/restore the previous mentioned...
    > And YES I have tried to run System Restore....it showed System Restore
    > Completed...however no restoration to the Recycle Bin function or icon
    > replacement changed....! (sigh)
    > And the instructions from Kelly's site to restore/replace the function of
    > the Recycle Bin failed as well...
    > Anyone have any further ideas of how I can get that back?
    > I know it still exists on the Hard drive, because as I use Disk Clean
    > up...it shows it to needing emptying....and I know I can access Disk
    > Cleanup to empty it...but one day I may accidentally delete something and
    > wish to retrieve it and won't be able to....(sighs ...Again)
    > Any help would be a blessing and greatly appreciated.
    > Thank you in advance...
    > Apeke

    Hi Wes...
    Thank you for your help...
    I folowed EVERY directive on the page of the Link you provided and NOTHING
    helped..
    I am baffled as to what caused the Recycle Bin to completely disappear...
    Every Registry Key and value is set appropriately and yet, still no RB icon
    on either my Desktop or in the Windows Explorer...
    I just don't know what else could be the cause.......??????
    Sincerely,
    Apeke

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Recycle Bin Does Not Appear on the Desktop
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810869
    >
    > Recycle Bin = {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
    > CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel
    > or
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
    > CurrentVersion\Explorer\HideDesktopIcons\ClassicStartMenu
    > Value Name: {645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}
    > Value Type: REG_DWORD
    > Value Data: 0 or 1
    > 0 = Visible
    > 1 = Hidden
    >

    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:2D1FD07C-7A5F-402F-AE8F-484B29459B86@microsoft.com,
    > apeke <apeke@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Yesterday something happened that changed the direction of
    > > some funtions to my PC...
    > > All my file paths in the "SAVE AS" context menu dissappeared and I had no
    > > way to save images or programs I download...Got that taken care of...
    > > The start Menu lost several folders of which linked me to them ie:
    > > My Computer icon, My pictures, etc....Got that taken care of too...
    > > However...
    > > one of the puzzling issues is my missing "Recycle bin".
    > > It completely disappeared from not only the Desktop...but from the Windows
    > > Explore list too..
    > > I have been to Kelly's Tweaks and tips
    > > (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm)
    > > and that is how I was able to repair/restore the previous mentioned...
    > > And YES I have tried to run System Restore....it showed System Restore
    > > Completed...however no restoration to the Recycle Bin function or icon
    > > replacement changed....! (sigh)
    > > And the instructions from Kelly's site to restore/replace the function of
    > > the Recycle Bin failed as well...
    > > Anyone have any further ideas of how I can get that back?
    > > I know it still exists on the Hard drive, because as I use Disk Clean
    > > up...it shows it to needing emptying....and I know I can access Disk
    > > Cleanup to empty it...but one day I may accidentally delete something and
    > > wish to retrieve it and won't be able to....(sighs ...Again)
    > > Any help would be a blessing and greatly appreciated.
    > > Thank you in advance...
    > > Apeke

    Apeke,

    Try this...

    Restores the Desktop Recycle Bin Icon
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/rec_bin.htm

    Download the file you find there, then follow the instructions to merge its
    entries into your Registry. You may need to restart for the Recycle Bin to
    reappear.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes