My neighbor's access point

Hi,

I've been using the Netgear ME102 access point and the MA401 PCMCIA
for my laptop. It was working great until lately I always got the
"Data Frame Errors, check your WEP settings" message from the tray
icon. When troubleshooting, I found if I turn off the ME102 access
point the MA401 PCMCIA card still gets signal from another chanel. I
suspect the signal is coming from my neighbor which may also be the
cause of the "Data Frame Errors".

The unidentified signal is using channel 6 so I manually set my access
point to use another chanel, 10 say. But the problem still exists.

My questions are:

1. How difficult to crack the key of the unidentified signal?
2. If cracking is impossible, how can I resolve this problem?

Thanks for the advise in advance.

Best,
Isaac
http://www.globalrendering.com/cdrom
CD-ROM Replication for less

"Isaac Cheung" <isaac@newcyberian.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've been using the Netgear ME102 access point and the MA401 PCMCIA
> for my laptop. It was working great until lately I always got the
> "Data Frame Errors, check your WEP settings" message from the tray
> icon. When troubleshooting, I found if I turn off the ME102 access
> point the MA401 PCMCIA card still gets signal from another chanel. I
> suspect the signal is coming from my neighbor which may also be the
> cause of the "Data Frame Errors".
>
> The unidentified signal is using channel 6 so I manually set my access
> point to use another chanel, 10 say. But the problem still exists.

Use either channel 1 or 11 instead.

> My questions are:
>
> 1. How difficult to crack the key of the unidentified signal?

You can use airsnort or wepcrack to do this. But this is a time consuming
task.

> 2. If cracking is impossible, how can I resolve this problem?

After setting the AP to use one of the channels as I said above, set the
client to use that channel after turning off channel scanning.

HTH

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Try either channel 1 or channel 11. But, if your neighbor is using SuperG
(108 Mbps), then he will be generating interference across all channels.

Why waste your time trying to crack a WEP key? What could you hope to learn
from that? If you think your neighbor's system is generating interference,
go next door and ask him what kind of net he has, what channel it's on, and
whether it 108 Mbps. If it's not 108, then just arrange to use channels as
far apart as possible - for example, you on 1 and he on 11. If he's using
108 Mbps, he may not be able to avoid generating interference, although
relocating his router might help. If he's not using 108, and you still have
problems with you on channel 1 and he on channel 11, his system is not
causing the problem.

In any case, it's not clear that data frame errors have to be from
interference. The ME102 is 802.11b only, so it is more susceptible to
multipath echo problems than 802.11g. Have you recently changed the location
of your router, or put in a metal bookcase or other radio-reflective piece
of furniture?

I can't find the ME102 on the Netgear page, but the ME103 looks like it has
dual diversity antennas. If the ME102 has these, have you tried
repositioning them? Have you tried relocating the AP?