3DMark Results and questions - long post (sorry)..

LittleAuzzie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2002
Ok so i just downloaded 3DMark05 and ran all tests to get a score of 4257. My system is a P4 2.4 northwood, 1024 ddr333 ram, Geforce 6800GT 256 Card.

So my question is two fold: One, are these good scores for this card?

Two, what would be inhibiting my system to get better scores? I nothiced that the while the test was running 1/2 the benchmarks only ran a 1 fps! THats a bit of a worry. ALso, i gave a gigabyte GA-8SG800 for a motherboard and recent updates to its AGP architecture have forced it to only run in 4x. Is it worth my uninstalling the new agp driver and reinstalling the old driver to get the 6800GT to run in 8x?

Hehe while im here i might as well ask, i play alot of games - mainly wow these days. Doom 3 & hl2 all run perfectly (1152x864, 2xaa, 8xaf) with all settings on high, but with wow i still run it at 1152x864, 2xaa, 8xaf but get terrible frame rates (20 - 30).

SOrry this kinda turned out to be a life epic, but might as well ask cause if you neevr ask you'll never now.

Mate these fair-dinkum contraptions are bloddy alright... Pity they can't jump as high as a kangaroo!!

LittleAuzzie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2002
hehe non hyperthreading, so b.

Mate these fair-dinkum contraptions are bloddy alright... Pity they can't jump as high as a kangaroo!!

LittleAuzzie

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2002
New Mobo? Why would a mobo increase my performance? And besides i thought the GA-8SG800 was a good board...

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
That score is fine for your card. The really low FPS tests were for the CPU and have nothing to do with your 3DMarks....just your CPU score (which is pointless, IMO).

Running in 8x might help a little, but it certainly won't help in terms of real-world gaming (at least not a noticable amount).

WoW is more CPU limited than anything else, a better CPU is needed for better performance. Try bumping the settings up (or down) and you shouldn't notice a difference in FPS. You can probably run it (and HL2) at significantly higher settings if you want (my monitors look like arse at that resolution--try going up to the next level, if you can).

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.