Should I just reinstall?

laura

Hello,
I have XP home and installed a new USB 2.0 card so I could hook up a new
printer. I previously had it hooked up to usb 1.1. Kept getting the error
about hi speed device connected to a low speed hub. After I connected the
printer to the new USB 2.0 card, the communication with the printer wasn't
working. It couldn't tell it was on--kept getting error. I needed to update
XP so that it would support the USB 2.0.

I was running SP1. It looked to me that I needed to download SP1a to get
support for the USB. I did this, but in the middle of installing, it gave me
an error that the access was denied to the file. Then it asked me if I wanted
to restore files to the condition before installing the patch. Of course I
said yes.

Well, it apparently didn't restore everything corretly because when I
rebooted, I got an error saying the ordinal 258 could not be located in the
dynamic link library SHELL32.dll. I tried safe mode, but got the same error
there, so couldn't use a system restore.

I used my XP disk to do a repair of windows and now I can get it up and
going, but not like before. Luckily, I have found all my documents and
program files, so everything is backed up. But I can't run programs like I
used to. Have tried to load several and it hangs up the system.

I'm wondering if it would just be smart to backup everything I want to save
and then just do a reinstall of Windows.

The ironic thing is my printer works fine now, even though I still don't
have the proper update for the USB 2.0 support. But my system just isn't
stable. I get several errors about it recovering from serious errors--at
least a few every session.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Any SP1 for xp includes usb 2.0,so does SP2.Youre problem was you need to
reinstall the printer when a new connection for it was attached.SP1 wasnt,and
isnt needed if SP2 is to be installed.Also,is the motherboard not usb 2.0
compat-
able..You also needed(on board with the usb) to open device mgr,scroll down
the usb controller,R.click,update drivers.If not done,even with SP1 SP1a,or
SP2
the 2.0 drivers arent installed automatically,you must update in device
mgr....

"Laura" wrote:

> Hello,
> I have XP home and installed a new USB 2.0 card so I could hook up a new
> printer. I previously had it hooked up to usb 1.1. Kept getting the error
> about hi speed device connected to a low speed hub. After I connected the
> printer to the new USB 2.0 card, the communication with the printer wasn't
> working. It couldn't tell it was on--kept getting error. I needed to update
> XP so that it would support the USB 2.0.
>
> I was running SP1. It looked to me that I needed to download SP1a to get
> support for the USB. I did this, but in the middle of installing, it gave me
> an error that the access was denied to the file. Then it asked me if I wanted
> to restore files to the condition before installing the patch. Of course I
> said yes.
>
> Well, it apparently didn't restore everything corretly because when I
> rebooted, I got an error saying the ordinal 258 could not be located in the
> dynamic link library SHELL32.dll. I tried safe mode, but got the same error
> there, so couldn't use a system restore.
>
> I used my XP disk to do a repair of windows and now I can get it up and
> going, but not like before. Luckily, I have found all my documents and
> program files, so everything is backed up. But I can't run programs like I
> used to. Have tried to load several and it hangs up the system.
>
> I'm wondering if it would just be smart to backup everything I want to save
> and then just do a reinstall of Windows.
>
> The ironic thing is my printer works fine now, even though I still don't
> have the proper update for the USB 2.0 support. But my system just isn't
> stable. I get several errors about it recovering from serious errors--at
> least a few every session.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

laura

I did reinstall the printer driver and I went in a reinstalled the USB driver
via the cd included with the card. It doesn't look like that had installed
the first time. Now it has and everything works fine.

But I still think my system is messed up. Think I should probably do a clean
install of Windows.