GPU type, # of pipelines, etc

honsbeek

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2005
Hello ,

Someone mentioned before ...

"GPU type, # of pipelines "
Can you please explain exactly what they (you) meant by that. And please give me some examples of these kinds of Graphic cards, Does it mean perhaps the ATI version and the Gforce are different in their architecture??

thanks a lot
Ralph

A pipeline prepares a pixel which is 1 dot colour displayed on your screen.

For example the resolution 600*400 has 240000 pixels in it.

A GPU is designed with alot of parrelel processing in mind, and so instead of having 1 pipeline preparing 1 pixel at a time, modern day GPU's have upto 16pipelines all preparing pixels at the same time.

Theroretically this increases performance 16times over the same speed GPU with only 1 pipeline

cleeve

Illustrious
It might have been myself, as I often remind the uninformed that the video card 3d performance factors (from most to least important) are:

1- Architecture (GPU type, # of pipelines, etc) - MOST IMPORTANT
2- Memory interface (64, 128, 256-bit)
3- Clockspeeds
4- Amount of RAM - LEAST IMPORTANT

The verious Radeons and Geforces are quite different in their architecture, even though they may have similar numbers of pipelines in some cases (and other technical specs).

Take for example the GeforceFX series that, depending on the amount of textures processed per pipeline, runs as though it has twice as many pipelines in certain circumstances (sometimes operating as 4 pipelines, sometimes operating as 8 pipelines) - While the Radeon 3xx series they competed with had a static 8 pielines running all the time.

The point being, that GPU architecture is the most important factor in determining how a videocard will perform, even though people think the amount of onboard RAM is important due to how they are marketed.

A great GPU with 64 megs of RAM is always preferable to a crappy GPU with 256 megs of RAM, assuming all other factors are equal.

In addition to the above, this may help you in the future;

<A HREF="http://www.primotechnology.com/index.php?art=articles/0105/gg/index.htm" target="_new">http://www.primotechnology.com/index.php?art=articles/0105/gg/index.htm</A>

Also take a look at GeneticWeapon's sticky on the front page it may offer you some additional insight.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

honsbeek

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2005
So when looking to buy a new GPU , how can i find out if they have 16 pipelines , that's what I want them understanding you explanations?

ralph

cleeve

Illustrious
Here's the most important ones . Be wary of products with the "LE" or "SE" designation, they are usually crippled in some way (i.e. the X800SE only has 8 pipelines!)

16 pipeline: Radeon X800 XT, X850XT, X800XL, Geforce 6800GT, 6800 Ultra

12 pipelines: Radeon X800 PRO, X800, Geforce 6800

8 pipelines: Radeon X700, X800SE, 9800 PRO, 9700 PRO, Geforce 6600GT, 6600

most 6800's can have the xtra pipes unlocked (like mine :tongue: )

cleeve

Illustrious
The old 6800's maybe, but the new one aren't crippled 16-pipe 6800's but a totally different GPU with only 12-pipes on the slicon I hear...

8 pipelines: Radeon X700, X800SE, 9800 PRO, 9700 PRO, Geforce 6600GT, 6600
Add to that the GF6800LE which is 8 pipes, as long as it's not that faqin' "LimitedEdition" one which is a souped up 6800.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

honsbeek

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2005
Thanks

A Lot has cleared up now, So the expensive card like GEForce 6800 all have 16 pipelines... How about comparing with my current Radeon 7500 64MB, I guess there will be a mindoverwhelming difference if I switch to 16 pipelines...

What models have have a different architecture that people use a lot...

Thanks
RAlph

cleeve

Illustrious
I believe the 7500 is a two-pipeline card. :)

Yeah, the difference will be pretty amazing in games...

TRENDING THREADS