I am using Windows XP Home Edition and have installed the backup utility. I
select My Documents when prompted in the wizzard and then try to save the
file on another harddrive. The utility begins and the shadow copy starts and
then no files are backed up and the program completes in about one second. No
files are backed up. My documents has many files in it. Is there a problem
with the utility?

It takes longer than that..Forget the backup utility in xp,use the File
transfer wizard
Open the wizard,set as old computer,select files-settings to save,save in a
new
folder you create,once its thru,save the data to a cd or hd....