cannot add or see network printers

I have an xp pro machine, 3.0 mghz, 1g ram, pent 4, on a 10/100 tcp/ip Lan. I
print and plot to an hp laserjet 4 plus and an hp designjet 1050c plotter.
Both are working fine. The hitch is that I wanted to check the properties for
the laserjet the other day and when I selected the "start/settings/printers
and faxes" they DO NOT SHOW. Also I am UNABLE TO ADD A PRINTER. I have
checked and the script services are started which I thought they would be as
I can print just Fine but I need to fix this. I appreciate any help I can get
on this, I have searched the newsgroups and only find fixes for NT (which I
tried to no avail). I will watch for responses here but you could also e-mail
me at : rhots995@netzero.com.
Thank you,
Rick
3 answers Last reply
More about cannot network printers

    Press winkey-break(or start/run 'sysdm.cpl') ,/Hardware tab Open the Device manager and click the + sign next to Ports(COM & LPT).
    select the printer port, e.g. ECP Printer Port (LPT1). Port Settings tab check the 'Enable legacy Plug and Play detection'

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > Press winkey-break(or start/run 'sysdm.cpl') ,/Hardware tab Open the Device manager and click the + sign next to Ports(COM & LPT).
    > select the printer port, e.g. ECP Printer Port (LPT1). Port Settings tab check the 'Enable legacy Plug and Play detection'
    >
    > --
    >
    > Mark L. Ferguson
    > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > ..
    > "Rick H" <Rick H@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CC34F065-D63D-4D06-AA29-0619B56A2A33@microsoft.com...
    > >I have an xp pro machine, 3.0 mghz, 1g ram, pent 4, on a 10/100 tcp/ip Lan. I
    > > print and plot to an hp laserjet 4 plus and an hp designjet 1050c plotter.
    > > Both are working fine. The hitch is that I wanted to check the properties for
    > > the laserjet the other day and when I selected the "start/settings/printers
    > > and faxes" they DO NOT SHOW. Also I am UNABLE TO ADD A PRINTER. I have
    > > checked and the script services are started which I thought they would be as
    > > I can print just Fine but I need to fix this. I appreciate any help I can get
    > > on this, I have searched the newsgroups and only find fixes for NT (which I
    > > tried to no avail). I will watch for responses here but you could also e-mail
    > > me at : rhots995@netzero.com.
    > > Thank you,
    > > Rick

    Thanks for trying, it didn't work

    "Rick H" wrote:

    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    > > Press winkey-break(or start/run 'sysdm.cpl') ,/Hardware tab Open the Device manager and click the + sign next to Ports(COM & LPT).
    > > select the printer port, e.g. ECP Printer Port (LPT1). Port Settings tab check the 'Enable legacy Plug and Play detection'
    > >
    > > --
    > >
    > > Mark L. Ferguson
    > > FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    > > http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
    > > marfers notes for windows xp http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
    > > ..
    > > "Rick H" <Rick H@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CC34F065-D63D-4D06-AA29-0619B56A2A33@microsoft.com...
    > > >I have an xp pro machine, 3.0 mghz, 1g ram, pent 4, on a 10/100 tcp/ip Lan. I
    > > > print and plot to an hp laserjet 4 plus and an hp designjet 1050c plotter.
    > > > Both are working fine. The hitch is that I wanted to check the properties for
    > > > the laserjet the other day and when I selected the "start/settings/printers
    > > > and faxes" they DO NOT SHOW. Also I am UNABLE TO ADD A PRINTER. I have
    > > > checked and the script services are started which I thought they would be as
    > > > I can print just Fine but I need to fix this. I appreciate any help I can get
    > > > on this, I have searched the newsgroups and only find fixes for NT (which I
    > > > tried to no avail). I will watch for responses here but you could also e-mail
    > > > me at : rhots995@netzero.com.
    > > > Thank you,
    > > > Rick
    > >

    > Thanks for trying, it didn't work