Windows Startup Hangup

My neighbor`s computer has developed a problem she can`t solve (nor can
I). It`s a Dell with XP Home installed. When she started the computer in
the past a user sign-in window came up and she had to click on the user
name to open. Yesterday the computer,on startup, started skipping the
sign-in window (it flashes for a fraction of a second) and goes directly
to the window saying "windows is starting up" - but it doesn`t. It just
hangs in that window and does nothing. I`ve been able to start it a
couple of times by monkeying around with F2 or F12 (I don`t know exactly
what I did but I can`t repeat it consistantly.) On one occasion when I
did get it started I installed SP2 (which was not on the computer
before). I thought that might help correct the problem but it didn`t. I
haven`t been able to start it at all since. (Haven`t tried too much til
I checked here to see if someone can help.) TIA

When the pc is booting up (after the BIOS has done its POST test and
before Windows starts loading),
Tap F8 Function key to get bootup options. Tap & keep repeat tapping F8 !

You will actually see "Disable automatic restart on system failure" as an option .
Select that and give it a try.

Once restart on failure is disabled, you should get a STOP error with
text --- at the next problem.
Write it all down, and then start searching for the final solution.

Take a look at the Troubleshooting Windows STOP messages at Aumha.org

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

The system acts as if it is freezing, but it is most likely in a neverending restart loop.

Do post back with your progress.
HTH
--
Maurice N