Wardriving equipment

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I will shortly be visiting various locations around the UK mainland in a
motorhome.
I hope to create a hotspot map that will allow me to get my internet fix
while out & about.

If anyone has an area they would like mapping, I will pass on any hotspots I
can find

What choice of card, antenna & software would 'you' pick for the best
results?

It will need to work with my Sony Viao running XP.
Currently I am using Netstumbler and a Belkin 54g (no external antenna)

Tia,

T.

Tom <ocilac@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I will shortly be visiting various locations around the UK mainland in a
> motorhome.
> I hope to create a hotspot map that will allow me to get my internet fix
> while out & about.
>
> If anyone has an area they would like mapping, I will pass on any hotspots I
> can find
>
> What choice of card, antenna & software would 'you' pick for the best
> results?

Obtain a rotatable satellite dish, or directional antenna, that can
be rotated from inside the motorhome.
Use that.

Lazarus

I use a 45 mw rtl8180 card with netstumbler (card is not supported but
it works with the correct drivers) and a cheap GPS receiver.
And it works really fine.

I would not recommend a dish. It has a verry narrow angle and works great
if you know what you are pointing at.
Use a directional, (can add some (3-7 in most cases) db) and is easy to
install.

If you have autoroute (MS) you can import your netstumbler logs and put the
access points an a map.

greetings lazarus

"Ian Stirling" <root@mauve.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
> Tom <ocilac@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I will shortly be visiting various locations around the UK mainland in a
> > motorhome.
> > I hope to create a hotspot map that will allow me to get my internet fix
> > while out & about.
> >
> > If anyone has an area they would like mapping, I will pass on any
hotspots I
> > can find
> >
> > What choice of card, antenna & software would 'you' pick for the best
> > results?
>
> Obtain a rotatable satellite dish, or directional antenna, that can
> be rotated from inside the motorhome.
> Use that.

I picked up the NETGEAR WG511 pccard, and it has a great reciever in it.
This card picks up multiple AP's around my house that the old Dlink DWL630 card didnt. PCMAG or one of those pubs also gave this
card a good review.

However you might be better off with the 200mw SMC card and an external antenna. That way you will not need to be close to the AP.

Cheers