Blue Screen Stop Code 0x00008086

I've searched the Web and the Microsoft site and I can't find what this error
code indicates.

I'm getting it about once a day on a new Dell Dimension 8400 with XP Home.

I've run the exhaustive hardware tests Dell includes and everything--hard
drive, memory--seems fine.
would appreciate any help or pointers to help.
--
Associate Professor of Economics
North Carolina State Univ.

Welcome to Dell Support
http://support.dell.com/home.aspx

Welcome to Dell Community Forums
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"C.M. Newmark" wrote:

| I've searched the Web and the Microsoft site and I can't find what this error
| code indicates.
|
| I'm getting it about once a day on a new Dell Dimension 8400 with XP Home.
|
| I've run the exhaustive hardware tests Dell includes and everything--hard
| drive, memory--seems fine.
| would appreciate any help or pointers to help.
| --
| Associate Professor of Economics
| North Carolina State Univ.

It's quite possible your hard drive has bad sectors.
What I'd recommend: Run CHKDSK /R from within the XP Recovery Console !

Set pc BIOS to boot from CDROM. Place XP CD in drive. Reboot from the CD.
Select the first option R Repair/Recovery Console. Select your Windows partition by number. Usually it is 1 .
Login to XP with administrator password. Then run CHKDSK /R from the command line.

Run it once (or repeat) until it shows no errors. This should clear the "dirty" flag on the disk drive C. Run CHKDSK for each drive on your system.
CHKDSK /R :X
where X is letter for disk drive

References for Recovery Console:
Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console - Article ID 314058
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/314058

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/307654

To exit the R Console, use the EXIT command.

--
Maurice N
MVP Windows - Shell / User