XP Pro shutdown hang after saving settings

My XP Pro hangs on shutdown after saving settings. When I boot into safe mode
the system shuts down. Booting in safe mode with network support hangs also.
Any ideas of how to recover?

Thanks,
rjg

See if this is any help
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

"rjg" <rjg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My XP Pro hangs on shutdown after saving settings. When I boot into safe
> mode
> the system shuts down. Booting in safe mode with network support hangs
> also.
> Any ideas of how to recover?
>
> Thanks,
> rjg

Rich - Thanks. I am looking through the tips. I have tried a lot of their
suggestions but still not working.

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> See if this is any help
> http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
>

> "rjg" <rjg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My XP Pro hangs on shutdown after saving settings. When I boot into safe
> > mode
> > the system shuts down. Booting in safe mode with network support hangs
> > also.
> > Any ideas of how to recover?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > rjg

Go into your Control Panel, then choose Performance and Maintenance---then
System icon----system properties, in the "Advanced" TAB and
in the "Startup and Recovery" section....click the "settings" button.
"Un-check" the "automatically restart" line.
And in the "Write debugging information" select "NONE". This turns off the
error "dumps".
Do the apply change.

Have you checked your Power Management settings?
Get into Control Panel----Power Management---and turn on
APM ---Advanced Power Management .
That should take care of it

HTH