Problem With Firefox and Win XP Install

June 5, 2005 12:24:55 AM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.mozilla,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,wpg.computers.help (More info?)

I've been running Firefox for months on a Win98SE system. No problems.
Really like it. Used HomeTabs. Really nice product.

I updated to Win XP and now Firefox opens but doesn't work. The status bar
shows the name of the web page in the first tab. The Firefox update button
works (I uninstalled and then installed the latest version). The top menu
choices don't work. You cnqa't see them, click on them, or see their
tooltips.

Any ideas? (Other than ditching XP. Not an option.)
June 5, 2005 3:45:28 AM

"Peter D" <please@.sk> wrote in message
> I've been running Firefox for months on a Win98SE system. No problems.
> Really like it. Used HomeTabs. Really nice product.
>
> I updated to Win XP and now Firefox opens but doesn't work. The status bar
> shows the name of the web page in the first tab. The Firefox update button
> works (I uninstalled and then installed the latest version). The top menu
> choices don't work. You cnqa't see them, click on them, or see their
> tooltips.
>
> Any ideas? (Other than ditching XP. Not an option.)

Have you tried removing all the information from the registries & deleting
all firefox folders & files off your comp before reinstalling it?

Failing that, you could try downloading 'Tuneup Utilities 2004'. Its got a
30 day trial and managed to get my norton protected recycle bin working
after a couple of months of just acting as a normal recycle bin.
http://www.tune-up.com/

HTH

Dave
June 6, 2005 8:38:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.mozilla,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,wpg.computers.help (More info?)

Try running Firefox safe mode from the start menu. Then, if you can get
in there, try changing the home page.

You can also try the suggestions at:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser_will_not_start_up

under "How to make Firefox/Mozilla Suite start"

Hope that works.

Rosco

Peter D wrote:
> I've been running Firefox for months on a Win98SE system. No problems.
> Really like it. Used HomeTabs. Really nice product.
>
> I updated to Win XP and now Firefox opens but doesn't work. The status bar
> shows the name of the web page in the first tab. The Firefox update button
> works (I uninstalled and then installed the latest version). The top menu
> choices don't work. You cnqa't see them, click on them, or see their
> tooltips.
>
> Any ideas? (Other than ditching XP. Not an option.)

June 6, 2005 9:01:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.mozilla,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,wpg.computers.help (More info?)

just download the latest version of firefox off the site and install it it
works just fine :)

"Rosco" <ask@mefor.it> wrote in message
> Try running Firefox safe mode from the start menu. Then, if you can get
> in there, try changing the home page.
>
> You can also try the suggestions at:
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser_will_not_start_up
>
> under "How to make Firefox/Mozilla Suite start"
>
> Hope that works.
>
> Rosco
>

> Peter D wrote:
> > I've been running Firefox for months on a Win98SE system. No problems.
> > Really like it. Used HomeTabs. Really nice product.
> >
> > I updated to Win XP and now Firefox opens but doesn't work. The status
bar
> > shows the name of the web page in the first tab. The Firefox update
button
> > works (I uninstalled and then installed the latest version). The top
menu
> > choices don't work. You cnqa't see them, click on them, or see their
> > tooltips.
> >
> > Any ideas? (Other than ditching XP. Not an option.)

June 8, 2005 10:18:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.fan.mozilla,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,wpg.computers.help (More info?)

Peter D mentioned that "(I uninstalled and then installed the latest
version)"

!