Unable to install ATI Cat Drivers

Just bought a new Sapphire X800XL AGP card to replace my ageing nVidea
4800ti. I am getting a SEVERE message during installation of the ATI Cat
drivers ' setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your
display adaptor with a standard vga driver before running setup' The
standard vga is showing as 'vgasafe'.

I am running a P2.4 on Intel D845GBV motherboard. 1 GB of RAM

basics running on vgasafe mode at the moment.

Any help much appreciated
Dave

What version driver are you trying to install? ATI latest Catalyst driver is 5.5. Is
this the version that shipped with your card?
http://www.sapphiretech.com/downloads/downloads.asp
There is a troubleshooting forum as well
http://www.sapphiretech.com/forum/forums-troubleshooting.asp

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"David Hewitt" <david.p.hewitt@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Just bought a new Sapphire X800XL AGP card to replace my ageing nVidea 4800ti. I am
> getting a SEVERE message during installation of the ATI Cat drivers ' setup was
> unable to complete the installation. Try to setup your display adaptor with a
> standard vga driver before running setup' The standard vga is showing as 'vgasafe'.
>
> I am running a P2.4 on Intel D845GBV motherboard. 1 GB of RAM
>
> basics running on vgasafe mode at the moment.
>
> Any help much appreciated
> Dave

Thanks Mary, yes it is version 5.5. Just can't understand what's preventing
the drivers installing. I will continue to check out the forums, I have also
raised a ticket with ATI. Only bought the card today so hope I can get it
sorted soon

Dave
"Mary Sauer" <gsauer@mycolumbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> What version driver are you trying to install? ATI latest Catalyst driver
> is 5.5. Is this the version that shipped with your card?
> http://www.sapphiretech.com/downloads/downloads.asp
> There is a troubleshooting forum as well
> http://www.sapphiretech.com/forum/forums-troubleshooting.asp
>
> --
> Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://msauer.mvps.org/
> "David Hewitt" <david.p.hewitt@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> Just bought a new Sapphire X800XL AGP card to replace my ageing nVidea
>> 4800ti. I am getting a SEVERE message during installation of the ATI Cat
>> drivers ' setup was unable to complete the installation. Try to setup
>> your display adaptor with a standard vga driver before running setup' The
>> standard vga is showing as 'vgasafe'.
>>
>> I am running a P2.4 on Intel D845GBV motherboard. 1 GB of RAM
>>
>> basics running on vgasafe mode at the moment.
>>
>> Any help much appreciated
>> Dave

frodo

I would recommend installing JUST the driver and the control panel
modules, NOT the CCC (Catalyst Control Center). CCC is big and ponderous
(it's a .Net application, and requires the CLI to be loaded, a mem hog),
and can cause some issues. The Control Panel provides most of the option
setttings that you should need. You might want to first install JUST the
driver, then when that's ok install the control panel.

Also, get the cat-uninstaller.exe util and run it first, to be sure all
remnants of a previous failed install are gone.