XP Home asking for Password when accessing shared director..

June 4, 2005 6:43:05 PM

My XP Home computer just started asking for authentication when I access the
pc from my XP Pro Laptop.
It is asking for a password for the user Guest/<computer name>

This never happend before I now cannot access the shared printer on the XP
Home system.

can anyone point me in the right direction to start looking for what could
have changed
Anonymous
June 4, 2005 9:15:15 PM

you tried empty password and user admin ?

"Jeff L." wrote:

> My XP Home computer just started asking for authentication when I access the
> pc from my XP Pro Laptop.
> It is asking for a password for the user Guest/<computer name>
>
> This never happend before I now cannot access the shared printer on the XP
> Home system.
>
> can anyone point me in the right direction to start looking for what could
> have changed

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 7:51:02 AM

This response is late... but, Here is the problem. I had made some changes
to my
home network (2 PC's) and one of those changes was enabling DHCP on my router.
The problem was that I still had static IP entries in the
Windows/system32/drivers/etc Hosts file for the two systems. so when the PC's
got their DHCP IP address; just by coincedence, They swapped IP addresses!

So if I did a Ping by name the Name resolution was wrong and so it was with
CIFS.
Not exactly sure why this caused the password prompt since everytime I tried
to accesss "\\<system-name>\share" I was actually trying to access my own
laptop and not the actual server. I'm still confused as to why it was
prompting me for a password to access a share on laptop I was on. Go figure?

Thanks for the help anyway!