XP Home asking for Password when accessing shared director..

My XP Home computer just started asking for authentication when I access the
pc from my XP Pro Laptop.
It is asking for a password for the user Guest/<computer name>

This never happend before I now cannot access the shared printer on the XP
Home system.

can anyone point me in the right direction to start looking for what could
have changed
2 answers Last reply
More about home password accessing shared director

    you tried empty password and user admin ?

    "Jeff L." wrote:

    > My XP Home computer just started asking for authentication when I access the
    > pc from my XP Pro Laptop.
    > It is asking for a password for the user Guest/<computer name>
    >
    > This never happend before I now cannot access the shared printer on the XP
    > Home system.
    >
    > can anyone point me in the right direction to start looking for what could
    > have changed

    This response is late... but, Here is the problem. I had made some changes
    to my
    home network (2 PC's) and one of those changes was enabling DHCP on my router.
    The problem was that I still had static IP entries in the
    Windows/system32/drivers/etc Hosts file for the two systems. so when the PC's
    got their DHCP IP address; just by coincedence, They swapped IP addresses!

    So if I did a Ping by name the Name resolution was wrong and so it was with
    CIFS.
    Not exactly sure why this caused the password prompt since everytime I tried
    to accesss "\\<system-name>\share" I was actually trying to access my own
    laptop and not the actual server. I'm still confused as to why it was
    prompting me for a password to access a share on laptop I was on. Go figure?

    Thanks for the help anyway!

    "Chriss" wrote:

    > you tried empty password and user admin ?
    >
    > "Jeff L." wrote:
    >
    > > My XP Home computer just started asking for authentication when I access the
    > > pc from my XP Pro Laptop.
    > > It is asking for a password for the user Guest/<computer name>
    > >
    > > This never happend before I now cannot access the shared printer on the XP
    > > Home system.
    > >
    > > can anyone point me in the right direction to start looking for what could
    > > have changed

Computers Windows XP