Right Click any file and explorer.exe shuts down

vertical

Distinguished
May 30, 2004

If I go into any file folder on the OS (Not a zip file, etc) and right click
a file, it makes no diffrence which one, explorer pops up the following error
(Which I have already searched for a found matches, but no-one gives any
explanation either of the error itself, or what may have caused it.)

The instruction at "0x0418415b" referenced memory at "0x0000000". The memory
could not be "written".

Please click OK to terminate or CANCEL to Debug.

Now, my computer has probably 250+ applications installed on it, and over
200Gigs of information and files that I don't care to lose. I am a Software
applications programmer, and Web Developer, and I've been using computers for
more than 11 years. I have checked the Event viewer as others have done in
seperate posts and found the same. The event generated is as follows:

Information - (Source) Winlogon - (Catagory) None - (Event) 1002
The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

(I don't think that support link even works... :/ )

I am so sick and tired of this shutting down all of my open folders and
things I have open. Especially when I'm doing file transfers between
computers and I forget and right click something (Note: It also shuts down if
I use CTRL+C on a file, or use the dropdown button on my keyboard) because it
shuts all of it down.

My educated guess at whats causing the problem from what I've read here and
elsewhere, as well as observed on the computer is as follows:

I think that some application that has been installed on the computer was
either deleted by accedent from within a file folder and not properly removed
with Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, which in turn will not allow
the right click popup box to work, which in turn halts the shell and shuts
down explorer.exe. Many applications such as WinRAR and Winzip (for example)
add custom options to this right click menu. I however do not know what
program could have done this if this where to be the case. Therefore, I will
list some of the programs that I think to be most likely to cause this error,
If anyone also having this problem has any of the programs listed, please
post a reply so that I can narrow my search down and hopefully find a
solution for everyone. If anyone knows the exact cause of this problem and/or
knows how to fix it, please reply to this thread.

Thank you for the support.

vertical

Distinguished
May 30, 2004

I have found a solution for the error that was previously described. If any
of you have the same problem as below, please try the following!

I found a website (http://windowsxp.mvps.org/slowrightclick.htm) which gave
me the answer I was looking for. MAKE SURE YOU BACK UP YOUR REGISTRY OR THE
PORTION THAT YOU EDIT! About 2/5 down the above page (The link above), it has
SOLUTION, since the problem occured when I right clicked ANY file and not
folders, etc, I opened regedit (start > run > regedit) Went to: HKCR
\*\shellex\contextmenuhandlers and deleted "Open with encryption", "Winzip",
"WinRAR", and two others that I can't remember. Mainly, just look for the
ones that you are sure you installed or do not belong. After removing these,
I can now right click any file in any folder and the right click menu opens
as it should :D

Good Luck! (I have JUST done this, and it currently works, if I experiance
any problems I will reply again)

"Vertical" wrote:

> If I go into any file folder on the OS (Not a zip file, etc) and right click
> a file, it makes no diffrence which one, explorer pops up the following error
> (Which I have already searched for a found matches, but no-one gives any
> explanation either of the error itself, or what may have caused it.)
>
> The instruction at "0x0418415b" referenced memory at "0x0000000". The memory
> could not be "written".
>
> Please click OK to terminate or CANCEL to Debug.
>
> Now, my computer has probably 250+ applications installed on it, and over
> 200Gigs of information and files that I don't care to lose. I am a Software
> applications programmer, and Web Developer, and I've been using computers for
> more than 11 years. I have checked the Event viewer as others have done in
> seperate posts and found the same. The event generated is as follows:
>
> Information - (Source) Winlogon - (Catagory) None - (Event) 1002
> The shell stopped unexpectedly and Explorer.exe was restarted.

> (I don't think that support link even works... :/ )
>
> I am so sick and tired of this shutting down all of my open folders and
> things I have open. Especially when I'm doing file transfers between
> computers and I forget and right click something (Note: It also shuts down if
> I use CTRL+C on a file, or use the dropdown button on my keyboard) because it
> shuts all of it down.
>
> My educated guess at whats causing the problem from what I've read here and
> elsewhere, as well as observed on the computer is as follows:
>
> I think that some application that has been installed on the computer was
> either deleted by accedent from within a file folder and not properly removed
> with Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel, which in turn will not allow
> the right click popup box to work, which in turn halts the shell and shuts
> down explorer.exe. Many applications such as WinRAR and Winzip (for example)
> add custom options to this right click menu. I however do not know what
> program could have done this if this where to be the case. Therefore, I will
> list some of the programs that I think to be most likely to cause this error,
> If anyone also having this problem has any of the programs listed, please
> post a reply so that I can narrow my search down and hopefully find a
> solution for everyone. If anyone knows the exact cause of this problem and/or
> knows how to fix it, please reply to this thread.
>
> Thank you for the support.

Right click crashes Explorer.exe after installing Windows XP SP2?:
http://www.winxptutor.com/sp2/divxcrash.htm

Right-click is slow or weird behavior caused by context menu handlers:
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootlist/208.htm#4

Right-click is extremely slow only when Network is enabled:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/rcdelay.htm

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User