raid 0 and xp not starting

I have a intel mb and 2 gig ram / two 80 mb hd configuired as a raid 0
running xp pro sp2 system has run fine since the begging today i restartes
the system and it will not get past the windows screen tried safe mode wont
start tried last known good config no luck either it tries to run chkdisk but
find many bad files and hangs on the same on after 60 mins. my concern is
reloading the o.s with the raid 0 and losing valuable data help please

Do you get any error messages from your RAID controller indicating a bad
drive?
If not, I would suspect a failed RAID controller is the cause of the errors.

RAID Zero has Zero fault-tolerance, so there is no way to rebuild the array
once you have found and corrected the source of your problem -- you have to
replace the hardware, format/install the OS, etc. That is why, when you set
up a RAID Zero array, you make a commitment to back up your data daily.
You are lucky that you back up all of your data regularly.

steve

"LtFass" <LtFass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a intel mb and 2 gig ram / two 80 mb hd configuired as a raid 0
> running xp pro sp2 system has run fine since the begging today i restartes
> the system and it will not get past the windows screen tried safe mode
> wont
> start tried last known good config no luck either it tries to run chkdisk
> but
> find many bad files and hangs on the same on after 60 mins. my concern is
> reloading the o.s with the raid 0 and losing valuable data help please

None

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2002

P U N C T U A T I O N ! !

"LtFass" <LtFass@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a intel mb and 2 gig ram / two 80 mb hd configuired as a raid 0
> running xp pro sp2 system has run fine since the begging today i restartes
> the system and it will not get past the windows screen tried safe mode
> wont
> start tried last known good config no luck either it tries to run chkdisk
> but
> find many bad files and hangs on the same on after 60 mins. my concern is
> reloading the o.s with the raid 0 and losing valuable data help please

frodo

when your system boots, can you see the screen drawn by the Intel
Controller ROM; it may "fly" by, be prepared to press the "Pause/Break"
key to freeze it. See what it says, it should display (in green) that the
raid volume is ok. If not you may need to enter into that ROM via cntl-I
to check the settings for the volume. Hopefully you remember what they
should be (stripe size etc) so you can verify they are correct, and if not
reset them to their correct values (however, it's unlikely they were
somehow corrupted). If that was the issue it should reboot and work ok.

Your other option is to reboot using the XP install CD, and have the
floppy disk w/ the raid drivers handy; press F6 during the CD boot to
cause it to read the drivers from the floppy, then use the RECOVERY
CONSOLE to check the disk/array. If the RC can access the array ok and
normal XP can not then I'd suspect that the installed raid driver on the
HD got corrupted; you'll need to do a REPAIR install of XP to get them
back (unfortunately). [If you are savey, you could use RC to copy the
driver file (iastor.sys) from the floppy to the \windows\system32\drivers
folder. unfortunately, RC will need to have its security reg settings
relaxed before you can do this.]

good luck

Hey All thanks for the great helpful ideas but...... all of the sugguestions
I had already tried windows finally gave me an error message theat one or
more of the H.D.s are bad. This was confirmed this A.M. when I spoke with a
Tech at a revovery company that does work the Justice Dept. apperantly XP
tried to repair its self when one of the drives hiccupped and most likely
damaged the files so.... new drives and a promise controller are in order,
this time RAID 5!!! Thanks again