Dell Latitude CPXj - Memory upgrade recognized sporadically

I added 256mb to my Dell Latitude CPXJ for a total of 512mb. Sometimes it
only recognizes 256mb on boot up. If I open the little door to access the
memory, close it, and reboot, 512mb is recognized. I notice some metal
contacts inside the little door that seem to be less shiny than the rest of
the metal. It's like some of the electroplating has work away. Is this the
cause of the problem?

Is this problem typical with older laptop computers? Is there recommended
solution to this problem?
5 answers Last reply
More about dell latitude cpxj memory upgrade recognized sporadically

    Old Car wrote:

    > I added 256mb to my Dell Latitude CPXJ for a total of 512mb. Sometimes it
    > only recognizes 256mb on boot up. If I open the little door to access the
    > memory, close it, and reboot, 512mb is recognized. I notice some metal
    > contacts inside the little door that seem to be less shiny than the rest of
    > the metal. It's like some of the electroplating has work away. Is this the
    > cause of the problem?
    >
    > Is this problem typical with older laptop computers? Is there recommended
    > solution to this problem?

    Try cleaning the chip contacts with a pencil eraser, then reseat them.

    Notan

    assuming that you had one 256mb module and that you added another 256mb
    module the i suggest that you first remove the dell memory that can with
    your system and install just the new module as a test of the compatibility
    of the new. put the new module in the known good socket that the dell
    memory has been in all these years. once you are confident that the new
    memory works then look for alternative explanations for it to fail to be
    recognized when positioned in to the second socket... my bet is that it is
    just not compatible memory...

    "Old Car" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >I added 256mb to my Dell Latitude CPXJ for a total of 512mb. Sometimes it
    > only recognizes 256mb on boot up. If I open the little door to access the
    > memory, close it, and reboot, 512mb is recognized. I notice some metal
    > contacts inside the little door that seem to be less shiny than the rest
    > of
    > the metal. It's like some of the electroplating has work away. Is this
    > the
    > cause of the problem?
    >
    > Is this problem typical with older laptop computers? Is there recommended
    > solution to this problem?

    seond try... too many typos the first go...
    assuming that you had one 256mb module and that you added another 256mb
    module then i suggest that you first to remove the dell memory that came
    with your system and install just the new module as a test of the
    compatibility of the new. put the new module in the known good socket that
    the dell memory has been in all these years. once you are confident that
    the new memory works then look for explanations as to why it fails to be

    Old Car wrote:
    > I added 256mb to my Dell Latitude CPXJ for a total of 512mb. Sometimes it
    > only recognizes 256mb on boot up. If I open the little door to access the
    > memory, close it, and reboot, 512mb is recognized. I notice some metal
    > contacts inside the little door that seem to be less shiny than the rest of
    > the metal. It's like some of the electroplating has work away. Is this the
    > cause of the problem?
    >
    > Is this problem typical with older laptop computers? Is there recommended
    > solution to this problem?

    My CPxJ works with 512MB all the time, so it's not a problem with the
    design of the machine as such.

    I have read that there is a problem with older laptops, which our CPxJs
    are, not being able to recognise high density memory chips. I was
    careful to get a SODIMM which I could verfiry the spec of, and got a
    Micron-branded one in the end.
    I'm not sure what the symptoms of this problem are. i just assumed that
    the SODIMM would not be recognised at all, but perhaps it's what you are
    seeing?

    Does your new SODIMM have 8 or 16 chips on it. If there are 8 I believe
    that makes the chips high-density, and if there are 16 they are low-density.

    Your comment about the door kind of suggests some issue with poor
    contact. The door need not be there at all for the machine to function
    (I just tried it), so maybe your door is pushing on on of the SODIMMs
    and making it form a better contact when you reseat it. In the first
    instance, just taking the SODIMM out and putting it back again might
    make for a better seating or perhaps dislodge some spec of dirt and
    solve the problem.
    If that's not it perhaps you could clarify what metal contacts you are
    referring to?

    John

    I have already checked both modules in both sockets. Everything works.
    It's just when I put them both in that one of the modules is not recognized
    (sometimes).

    > seond try... too many typos the first go...
    > assuming that you had one 256mb module and that you added another 256mb
    > module then i suggest that you first to remove the dell memory that came
    > with your system and install just the new module as a test of the
    > compatibility of the new. put the new module in the known good socket
    that
    > the dell memory has been in all these years. once you are confident that
    > the new memory works then look for explanations as to why it fails to be
    > recognized when positioned in to the second socket... my bet is that it is
    > just not compatible memory...
    >

    > > "Old Car" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > >>I added 256mb to my Dell Latitude CPXJ for a total of 512mb. Sometimes
    it
    > >> only recognizes 256mb on boot up. If I open the little door to access
    > >> the
    > >> memory, close it, and reboot, 512mb is recognized. I notice some metal
    > >> contacts inside the little door that seem to be less shiny than the
    rest
    > >> of
    > >> the metal. It's like some of the electroplating has work away. Is this
    > >> the
    > >> cause of the problem?
    > >>
    > >> Is this problem typical with older laptop computers? Is there
    > >> recommended
    > >> solution to this problem?

Dell Latitude Memory Upgrade Computers