Genuine Windows XP Software

June 5, 2005 7:21:02 AM

Hi, I have just bought 3 pc's with windows xp already on then, it turns out
that all 3 have ripped copies of windows xp pro on them.
i want to make all 3 have the genuine windows software on them, but i cannot
afford the £100+ for each machine.
Anyone out there willing and able to help me?
Thank you i advance.
Regards
Trevor.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 12:02:55 PM

Help you with what? Paying for them?

You got ripped off. That you need to take up with the vendor and report to
piracy@microsoft.com.

Help for Microsoft UK and illegal copies:
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/piracy/faq/default.mspx

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Trevor" <Trevor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have just bought 3 pc's with windows xp already on then, it turns
> out
> that all 3 have ripped copies of windows xp pro on them.
> i want to make all 3 have the genuine windows software on them, but i
> cannot
> afford the £100+ for each machine.
> Anyone out there willing and able to help me?
> Thank you i advance.
> Regards
> Trevor.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 12:35:24 PM

Q. What is the genuine Windows offer?

A. Microsoft’s genuine Windows® offer is designed to help customers who unknowingly purchased counterfeit versions of Windows XP, by
offering those who qualify a complimentary or $149 electronic license key for a genuine copy of Windows XP.

Q. What are the details of the pilot genuine Windows offer?

A. Beginning of May 4, 2005, Microsoft will pilot the genuine Windows offer in the United States for Windows XP Professional users.
Microsoft has created two genuine Windows offers to help customers who unknowingly purchased counterfeit versions of Windows XP
Professional, by offering those who qualify one of the following offers.

Complimentary offer: In the US, Microsoft will make a complimentary copy of Windows XP Pro available to customers that have been
sold counterfeit Windows. Customers will be required to submit a proof of purchase, their counterfeit CD, and complete a counterfeit
report with details of their purchase. Only high-quality counterfeit Windows will qualify for the complimentary offer.

Electronic Key Offer: Microsoft will offer an alternative for customers who find out via the WGA validation process that they are
not running genuine Windows, but do not qualify for, or choose not to take the complimentary offer. These customers will be able to
license a kit to scan their Windows system files, and if their files match the originals, convert their copy of Windows XP
Professional to genuine. The customer must also submit a counterfeit report. Microsoft will then make a genuine version available
for $149 (versus $299 estimated retail price).

Windows Genuine Advantage FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?dis...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Trevor" wrote:

| Hi, I have just bought 3 pc's with windows xp already on then, it turns out
| that all 3 have ripped copies of windows xp pro on them.
| i want to make all 3 have the genuine windows software on them, but i cannot
| afford the £100+ for each machine.
| Anyone out there willing and able to help me?
| Thank you i advance.
| Regards
| Trevor.
Related resources
June 5, 2005 3:02:44 PM

Do you need xp pro?

buy oem xp home for about 69 quid a copy.

But no real cheaper way of getting it.

"Trevor" <Trevor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have just bought 3 pc's with windows xp already on then, it turns
> out
> that all 3 have ripped copies of windows xp pro on them.
> i want to make all 3 have the genuine windows software on them, but i
> cannot
> afford the £100+ for each machine.
> Anyone out there willing and able to help me?
> Thank you i advance.
> Regards
> Trevor.
June 5, 2005 3:02:45 PM

"Chris" wrote:

> Do you need xp pro?
>
> buy oem xp home for about 69 quid a copy.
>
> But no real cheaper way of getting it.
>
> "Trevor" <Trevor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I have just bought 3 pc's with windows xp already on then, it turns
> > out
> > that all 3 have ripped copies of windows xp pro on them.
> > i want to make all 3 have the genuine windows software on them, but i
> > cannot
> > afford the £100+ for each machine.
> > Anyone out there willing and able to help me?
> > Thank you i advance.
> > Regards
> > Trevor.

Anonymous
June 5, 2005 3:53:19 PM

1. You have a legal issue with whomever you bought these computers from.

2. You will have to get a full blown copy of Windows XP (either Home or
Professional), NOT the upgrade version.

3. You will have to pay for them.

4. Demand what you should have from the person who sold you the computers.
If you bought them privately you are out of luck!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

"Trevor" <Trevor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have just bought 3 pc's with windows xp already on then, it turns
> out
> that all 3 have ripped copies of windows xp pro on them.
> i want to make all 3 have the genuine windows software on them, but i
> cannot
> afford the £100+ for each machine.
> Anyone out there willing and able to help me?
> Thank you i advance.
> Regards
> Trevor.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 3:53:20 PM

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 11:53:19 -0400, "Richard Urban"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>1. You have a legal issue with whomever you bought these computers from.
>
>2. You will have to get a full blown copy of Windows XP (either Home or
>Professional), NOT the upgrade version.

Not quite true: If the OP already owns a license to a previous
version of Windows, and has the installation media, or has a version
of Windows already on his hard drive, he can use the XP Retail Upgrade
CD to install XP legally, either as an upgrade, or as a "clean"
installation. I know this from experience, not from running off at
the mouth.

>3. You will have to pay for them.
>
>4. Demand what you should have from the person who sold you the computers.
>If you bought them privately you are out of luck!

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that others may be instructed or informed
June 5, 2005 5:03:40 PM

MS had an offer to 'replace' ripped with genuine - dont know whether this
still stands, check MS site.
How much did you pay for the sys?
Ebay supplier or what?
I assume they were new?

"Trevor" <Trevor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have just bought 3 pc's with windows xp already on then, it turns
out
> that all 3 have ripped copies of windows xp pro on them.
> i want to make all 3 have the genuine windows software on them, but i
cannot
> afford the £100+ for each machine.
> Anyone out there willing and able to help me?
> Thank you i advance.
> Regards
> Trevor.
Anonymous
June 5, 2005 5:38:24 PM

Yes, he can use a previous CD that Has Win98 on it - as long as that copy
Win98 is not active on any other computer! Are you saying that if he has one
copy he should use it for all five installations? I hope NOT!

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

<Donald McDaniel> wrote in message
> On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 11:53:19 -0400, "Richard Urban"
> <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>1. You have a legal issue with whomever you bought these computers from.
>>
>>2. You will have to get a full blown copy of Windows XP (either Home or
>>Professional), NOT the upgrade version.
>
> Not quite true: If the OP already owns a license to a previous
> version of Windows, and has the installation media, or has a version
> of Windows already on his hard drive, he can use the XP Retail Upgrade
> CD to install XP legally, either as an upgrade, or as a "clean"
> installation. I know this from experience, not from running off at
> the mouth.
>
>>3. You will have to pay for them.
>>
>>4. Demand what you should have from the person who sold you the computers.
>>If you bought them privately you are out of luck!
>
> Donald L McDaniel
> Please reply to the original thread
> so that others may be instructed or informed
June 5, 2005 5:51:54 PM

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 13:38:24 -0400, "Richard Urban"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Yes, he can use a previous CD that Has Win98 on it - as long as that copy
>Win98 is not active on any other computer! Are you saying that if he has one
>copy he should use it for all five installations? I hope NOT!

Ask yourself this question: Did Donald mention anything about the
number of times a copy of the Windows installation media can be used
to provide proof of an existing license?

If you will carefully examine my previous post, you will see that I
mentioned no such thing.

I simply stated that
1) Your statement that he MUST purchase a so-called "Full Retail" copy
of XP in order to make his copy of XP legal was partially incorrect,
and that
2) A "Retail Upgrade" copy of XP can be used either for an "Upgrade"
install, or a "Clean" install IF one has the installation media of a
previous Windows edition. I might also add that it can also be used
for a "Repair" install.

I at no time mentioned whether or not such installation media from a
previous Windows edition had or had not been previously used to
install either Windows XP or any other Microsoft operating system.
Nor did I state in any way that one copy of Windows 98 can or should
be installed on more than one machine at a time.
Nor did I state in any way that one copy of Windows XP can or should
be installed on as many systems as the OP possesses.

Anyone who has used Windows for any length of time (it can't even be
installed without agreeing to the EULA) should be familiar with his
EULA by now.

Donald L McDaniel
Please reply to the original thread
so that others may be instructed or informed
June 5, 2005 6:42:05 PM

Ah - once again a US specific deal

news:o VOAxNdaFHA.2212@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...

!