Genuine Windows XP Software

Hi, I have just bought 3 pc's with windows xp already on then, it turns out
that all 3 have ripped copies of windows xp pro on them.
i want to make all 3 have the genuine windows software on them, but i cannot
afford the £100+ for each machine.
Anyone out there willing and able to help me?
Thank you i advance.
Regards
Trevor.
10 answers Last reply
More about genuine windows software

    Help you with what? Paying for them?

    You got ripped off. That you need to take up with the vendor and report to
    piracy@microsoft.com.

    Help for Microsoft UK and illegal copies:
    http://www.microsoft.com/uk/piracy/faq/default.mspx

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Trevor" <Trevor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have just bought 3 pc's with windows xp already on then, it turns
    > out
    > that all 3 have ripped copies of windows xp pro on them.
    > i want to make all 3 have the genuine windows software on them, but i
    > cannot
    > afford the £100+ for each machine.
    > Anyone out there willing and able to help me?
    > Thank you i advance.
    > Regards
    > Trevor.

    Q. What is the genuine Windows offer?

    A. Microsoft’s genuine Windows® offer is designed to help customers who unknowingly purchased counterfeit versions of Windows XP, by
    offering those who qualify a complimentary or $149 electronic license key for a genuine copy of Windows XP.

    Q. What are the details of the pilot genuine Windows offer?

    A. Beginning of May 4, 2005, Microsoft will pilot the genuine Windows offer in the United States for Windows XP Professional users.
    Microsoft has created two genuine Windows offers to help customers who unknowingly purchased counterfeit versions of Windows XP
    Professional, by offering those who qualify one of the following offers.

    Complimentary offer: In the US, Microsoft will make a complimentary copy of Windows XP Pro available to customers that have been
    sold counterfeit Windows. Customers will be required to submit a proof of purchase, their counterfeit CD, and complete a counterfeit
    report with details of their purchase. Only high-quality counterfeit Windows will qualify for the complimentary offer.

    Electronic Key Offer: Microsoft will offer an alternative for customers who find out via the WGA validation process that they are
    not running genuine Windows, but do not qualify for, or choose not to take the complimentary offer. These customers will be able to
    license a kit to scan their Windows system files, and if their files match the originals, convert their copy of Windows XP
    Professional to genuine. The customer must also submit a counterfeit report. Microsoft will then make a genuine version available
    for $149 (versus $299 estimated retail price).

    Windows Genuine Advantage FAQ
    http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Trevor" wrote:

    | Hi, I have just bought 3 pc's with windows xp already on then, it turns out
    | that all 3 have ripped copies of windows xp pro on them.
    | i want to make all 3 have the genuine windows software on them, but i cannot
    | afford the £100+ for each machine.
    | Anyone out there willing and able to help me?
    | Thank you i advance.
    | Regards
    | Trevor.

    Do you need xp pro?

    buy oem xp home for about 69 quid a copy.

    But no real cheaper way of getting it.

    "Chris" wrote:

    > Do you need xp pro?
    >
    > buy oem xp home for about 69 quid a copy.
    >
    > But no real cheaper way of getting it.
    >
    > "Trevor" <Trevor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I have just bought 3 pc's with windows xp already on then, it turns
    > > out
    > > that all 3 have ripped copies of windows xp pro on them.
    > > i want to make all 3 have the genuine windows software on them, but i
    > > cannot
    > > afford the £100+ for each machine.
    > > Anyone out there willing and able to help me?
    > > Thank you i advance.
    > > Regards
    > > Trevor.

    1. You have a legal issue with whomever you bought these computers from.

    2. You will have to get a full blown copy of Windows XP (either Home or
    Professional), NOT the upgrade version.

    3. You will have to pay for them.

    4. Demand what you should have from the person who sold you the computers.
    If you bought them privately you are out of luck!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "Trevor" <Trevor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have just bought 3 pc's with windows xp already on then, it turns
    > out
    > that all 3 have ripped copies of windows xp pro on them.
    > i want to make all 3 have the genuine windows software on them, but i
    > cannot
    > afford the £100+ for each machine.
    > Anyone out there willing and able to help me?
    > Thank you i advance.
    > Regards
    > Trevor.

    On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 11:53:19 -0400, "Richard Urban"
    <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >1. You have a legal issue with whomever you bought these computers from.
    >
    >2. You will have to get a full blown copy of Windows XP (either Home or
    >Professional), NOT the upgrade version.

    Not quite true: If the OP already owns a license to a previous
    version of Windows, and has the installation media, or has a version
    of Windows already on his hard drive, he can use the XP Retail Upgrade
    CD to install XP legally, either as an upgrade, or as a "clean"
    installation. I know this from experience, not from running off at
    the mouth.

    >3. You will have to pay for them.
    >
    >4. Demand what you should have from the person who sold you the computers.
    >If you bought them privately you are out of luck!

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread
    so that others may be instructed or informed

    MS had an offer to 'replace' ripped with genuine - dont know whether this
    still stands, check MS site.
    How much did you pay for the sys?
    Ebay supplier or what?
    I assume they were new?

    "Trevor" <Trevor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I have just bought 3 pc's with windows xp already on then, it turns
    out
    > that all 3 have ripped copies of windows xp pro on them.
    > i want to make all 3 have the genuine windows software on them, but i
    cannot
    > afford the £100+ for each machine.
    > Anyone out there willing and able to help me?
    > Thank you i advance.
    > Regards
    > Trevor.

    Yes, he can use a previous CD that Has Win98 on it - as long as that copy
    Win98 is not active on any other computer! Are you saying that if he has one
    copy he should use it for all five installations? I hope NOT!

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    <Donald McDaniel> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 11:53:19 -0400, "Richard Urban"
    > <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>1. You have a legal issue with whomever you bought these computers from.
    >>
    >>2. You will have to get a full blown copy of Windows XP (either Home or
    >>Professional), NOT the upgrade version.
    >
    > Not quite true: If the OP already owns a license to a previous
    > version of Windows, and has the installation media, or has a version
    > of Windows already on his hard drive, he can use the XP Retail Upgrade
    > CD to install XP legally, either as an upgrade, or as a "clean"
    > installation. I know this from experience, not from running off at
    > the mouth.
    >
    >>3. You will have to pay for them.
    >>
    >>4. Demand what you should have from the person who sold you the computers.
    >>If you bought them privately you are out of luck!
    >
    > Donald L McDaniel
    > Please reply to the original thread
    > so that others may be instructed or informed

    On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 13:38:24 -0400, "Richard Urban"
    <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Yes, he can use a previous CD that Has Win98 on it - as long as that copy
    >Win98 is not active on any other computer! Are you saying that if he has one
    >copy he should use it for all five installations? I hope NOT!

    Ask yourself this question: Did Donald mention anything about the
    number of times a copy of the Windows installation media can be used
    to provide proof of an existing license?

    If you will carefully examine my previous post, you will see that I
    mentioned no such thing.

    I simply stated that
    1) Your statement that he MUST purchase a so-called "Full Retail" copy
    of XP in order to make his copy of XP legal was partially incorrect,
    and that
    2) A "Retail Upgrade" copy of XP can be used either for an "Upgrade"
    install, or a "Clean" install IF one has the installation media of a
    previous Windows edition. I might also add that it can also be used
    for a "Repair" install.

    I at no time mentioned whether or not such installation media from a
    previous Windows edition had or had not been previously used to
    install either Windows XP or any other Microsoft operating system.
    Nor did I state in any way that one copy of Windows 98 can or should
    be installed on more than one machine at a time.
    Nor did I state in any way that one copy of Windows XP can or should
    be installed on as many systems as the OP possesses.

    Anyone who has used Windows for any length of time (it can't even be
    installed without agreeing to the EULA) should be familiar with his
    EULA by now.

    Donald L McDaniel
    Please reply to the original thread
    so that others may be instructed or informed

    Ah - once again a US specific deal

    > Q. What is the genuine Windows offer?
    >
    > A. Microsoft's genuine Windows® offer is designed to help customers who
    unknowingly purchased counterfeit versions of Windows XP, by
    > offering those who qualify a complimentary or $149 electronic license key
    for a genuine copy of Windows XP.

    > Q. What are the details of the pilot genuine Windows offer?
    >
    > A. Beginning of May 4, 2005, Microsoft will pilot the genuine Windows
    offer in the United States for Windows XP Professional users.
    > Microsoft has created two genuine Windows offers to help customers who
    unknowingly purchased counterfeit versions of Windows XP
    > Professional, by offering those who qualify one of the following offers.
    >
    > Complimentary offer: In the US, Microsoft will make a complimentary copy
    of Windows XP Pro available to customers that have been
    > sold counterfeit Windows. Customers will be required to submit a proof of
    purchase, their counterfeit CD, and complete a counterfeit
    > report with details of their purchase. Only high-quality counterfeit
    Windows will qualify for the complimentary offer.

    > Electronic Key Offer: Microsoft will offer an alternative for customers
    who find out via the WGA validation process that they are
    > not running genuine Windows, but do not qualify for, or choose not to take
    the complimentary offer. These customers will be able to
    > license a kit to scan their Windows system files, and if their files match
    the originals, convert their copy of Windows XP
    > Professional to genuine. The customer must also submit a counterfeit
    report. Microsoft will then make a genuine version available
    > for $149 (versus $299 estimated retail price).
    >

    > Windows Genuine Advantage FAQ
    > http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en
    >
    > --
    > Carey Frisch
    > Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP - Shell/User
    > Microsoft Newsgroups

    -----------------

    > "Trevor" wrote:
    >
    > | Hi, I have just bought 3 pc's with windows xp already on then, it turns
    out
    > | that all 3 have ripped copies of windows xp pro on them.
    > | i want to make all 3 have the genuine windows software on them, but i
    cannot
    > | afford the £100+ for each machine.
    > | Anyone out there willing and able to help me?
    > | Thank you i advance.
    > | Regards
    > | Trevor.

Windows XP Software