Atari Cabaret Woodgrain Vinyl Replacement

Ok ive been reading google on this subject and am attempting to make my
decision on what to use to replace the woodgrain on my centipede. i
still have a number of questions and figured i would ask them while
combining my research into one thread.

There seems to be two main options to choose between.

1) Vertical grade laminate
a)WilsonArt - River Cherry appears to be the best match.
http://tinyurl.com/d7e73
b)Formica - Select Cherry seems to be close
http://www.formica.com/colorchipdetails.jsp?chip_id=72

Of these two the WilsonArt seems closer

2) Adhesive Vinyl
a)Wico - Kings Walnut or Presidential Walnut - Do they stock this
anymore? Will they sell less than a whole role? What is the deal with
the credit check they require for orders. I emailed them with no
response.
b)Quarter Arcade - This looks way off for atari woodgrain and it is
quite expensive
c)Arcade Shop - This option appears very dark but it could be that
i dont have a good pic of it, from their website.

Can someone please help me. What is the best option? What have other
people used? If you have used these and have good pics please send
them to me, especially of the vinyl options. If you have any other
suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,
Phil

jim i really like the kings walnut. that is what i think i wanna use.
i hope they have it in stock. how hard is it ot order from wico. it
look like a pain. if you already have an account i will go in with you
on it.

Phil,

This is the Kings Walnut from Wico:

http://www.arcaderehab.com/tempestcab/r_side.jpg

Real nice stuff. Call them on the phone to order. If they don't have any in
stock see if they can special order it. Maybe we can get a few guys in on a
roll. I could use about 24' myself for 2 new cabarets I am going to build
soon. I paid for it with my credit card with no problems.

The quarterarcade stuff is too light for me and is a bit expensive - I did
the front of a Galaga mini-knockoff cab with it and it matched well:

http://www.arcaderehab.com/images/galagaconv/almostdone.jpg

Didn't know arcadeshop had adhesive vinyl. Need to check them out.

Let us know what you decide to use and what your results were!

Best,

Jim

"Zimmer" <phil@zimmerland.com> wrote in message
> Ok ive been reading google on this subject and am attempting to make my
> decision on what to use to replace the woodgrain on my centipede. i
> still have a number of questions and figured i would ask them while
> combining my research into one thread.
>
> There seems to be two main options to choose between.
>
> 1) Vertical grade laminate
> a)WilsonArt - River Cherry appears to be the best match.
> http://tinyurl.com/d7e73
> b)Formica - Select Cherry seems to be close
> http://www.formica.com/colorchipdetails.jsp?chip_id=72
>
> Of these two the WilsonArt seems closer
>
> 2) Adhesive Vinyl
> a)Wico - Kings Walnut or Presidential Walnut - Do they stock this
> anymore? Will they sell less than a whole role? What is the deal with
> the credit check they require for orders. I emailed them with no
> response.
> b)Quarter Arcade - This looks way off for atari woodgrain and it is
> quite expensive
> c)Arcade Shop - This option appears very dark but it could be that
> i dont have a good pic of it, from their website.
>
> Can someone please help me. What is the best option? What have other
> people used? If you have used these and have good pics please send
> them to me, especially of the vinyl options. If you have any other
> suggestions please let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Phil

Can you provide a link? I can't seem to find the wico website.

arcaderehab wrote:
> Phil,
>
> This is the Kings Walnut from Wico:
>
> http://www.arcaderehab.com/tempestcab/r_side.jpg
>
> Real nice stuff. Call them on the phone to order. If they don't have any in
> stock see if they can special order it. Maybe we can get a few guys in on a
> roll. I could use about 24' myself for 2 new cabarets I am going to build
> soon. I paid for it with my credit card with no problems.
>
> The quarterarcade stuff is too light for me and is a bit expensive - I did
> the front of a Galaga mini-knockoff cab with it and it matched well:
>
> http://www.arcaderehab.com/images/galagaconv/almostdone.jpg
>
> Didn't know arcadeshop had adhesive vinyl. Need to check them out.
>
> Let us know what you decide to use and what your results were!
>
> Best,
>
> Jim
>
> "Zimmer" <phil@zimmerland.com> wrote in message
> > Ok ive been reading google on this subject and am attempting to make my
> > decision on what to use to replace the woodgrain on my centipede. i
> > still have a number of questions and figured i would ask them while
> > combining my research into one thread.
> >
> > There seems to be two main options to choose between.
> >
> > 1) Vertical grade laminate
> > a)WilsonArt - River Cherry appears to be the best match.
> > http://tinyurl.com/d7e73
> > b)Formica - Select Cherry seems to be close
> > http://www.formica.com/colorchipdetails.jsp?chip_id=72
> >
> > Of these two the WilsonArt seems closer
> >
> > 2) Adhesive Vinyl
> > a)Wico - Kings Walnut or Presidential Walnut - Do they stock this
> > anymore? Will they sell less than a whole role? What is the deal with
> > the credit check they require for orders. I emailed them with no
> > response.
> > b)Quarter Arcade - This looks way off for atari woodgrain and it is
> > quite expensive
> > c)Arcade Shop - This option appears very dark but it could be that
> > i dont have a good pic of it, from their website.
> >
> > Can someone please help me. What is the best option? What have other
> > people used? If you have used these and have good pics please send
> > them to me, especially of the vinyl options. If you have any other
> > suggestions please let me know.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Phil

English or bannister oak is a better match. The cherry is much too red and
has the wrong grain pattern. I looked at my Centipede mini and it definitely
has an oak pattern to it. I should know since I studied this as part of my
college Forestry curriculum.One thing I noticed about the Formica patterns
was they don't have the knots that the original has.Walnut pattern and color
is like the Midway games used (pacman and the like). It is a darker, more
chocolate colored brown that the Atari original. I've read from others that
the original pattern is impossible to find. If I were trying for a match to
the original, I'd go with English Oak. Why not see if you can get a sample
to hold against it?

Mark Hooks