Retro Arcade pictures

Stumbled across this (not mine). WOW that's cool. I've been looking for
some authentic '80s arcade pictures for a long time. Anybody got any
others to share?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/petromyzon/sets/553223/

Now THAT is what I remember Time-Out at Springfield Mall in Virginia
looking like. Man oh man.

-Peter
17 answers Last reply
More about retro arcade pictures

    Yeah--very cool stuff. The Time Out in (the now demolished) Golden Ring
    Mall near Baltimore, MD was similar as well--though not nearly as big.

    Somewhere, I've got a bunch of old arcade pictures on slides. I did a
    slide-tape presentation on video games in my junior year in high
    school. I'm going to have to dig those out and get them digitized. I'm
    sure there's some fascinating stuff in there. It's been decades since I
    last looked at them.

    -Dave Ellis
    http://www.davesclassicarcade.com

    I would love to see them if you dig them out! I'd pay money for
    pictures of that stuff.

    -Peter

    WOW! Anyone willing to guess what year these pics are from? I'm very
    impressed at any arcade from the 80's (I'm assuming we're well into the
    80's in these pics) that still has not one, but TWO Computer Space's
    still playing.
    Too bad this place is no more, I'd love to get trhe serial numbers off
    those two machines.

    http://www.computerspacefan.com

    The Station Break looks like 1980 (there's Battlezone, Galaxian, and
    Pacman). The Time Out photos look like from various years. Some have
    only B&W pong type games and EM machines, so those are mid-early '70s
    I'd guess. I would put some of the other Time Out photos at around '77
    (Space Wars and Lemans).

    -Peter

    I think I've asked before, but anybody got any artifacts from the
    "Spaceway Raceway" arcade they also had there at Springfield Mall (in
    Virginia)? It was downstairs and was eventually converted into what
    they called "Time Out 2" (there was already a Time Out Tunnel in the
    mall at the time). I would sure love some signs, posters, pictures, or
    ANY sort of rememberance from that place!!!

    The Time Out Tunnel is still there (the upstairs arcade - it's just
    Time Out now). I have pictures of it as it looks these days, if anybody
    is interested. I'll warn you though - you're going to be dissappointed.
    http://www.peterhirschberg.com/arcade/timeout/

    -Peter

    Very cool place, and nice pics.

    Looks like about 1980 until I saw the Tempest side art & Tron poster.

    Maybe the pics were taken in different years. There are certainly a
    lot of games that looked too old to be in an arcade around 1980, and
    that looks like the type of place that was going for state-of-the-art
    games, so i'd doubt they would have that many older games in there
    still.

    I spent a lot of time in arcades between 1974/5 - present, but never
    took many pictures. What I would give for pictures of the Dream
    Machine arcade at Lincoln Mall, which I first started going to around
    1974 or 75, before there were any video games except maybe Pong.

    My Dad did take a video in 1985 of the Grand Prix arcade in Florida.
    World's largest arcade. His videography isn't too great, but i'd
    happy to have it just the same. We have another video from the Grix
    Prix in it's 2nd location around 1988.

    The Grand Prix was in a castle, and it was pretty cool. You'd see 10+
    Pacmans in a row, etc. It's still the biggest arcade even now in it's
    present location, but far from the best anymore.

    We were able to dig up an 8mm film of me playing Defender at Cedar's
    Point amusement park in 1981, a quick video shot of Star Castle &
    Armor Attack at Rocky Point amusement park in 1984, and stuff like
    that. No pans of the rest of the games. How??

    I took several pictures from my Jan 2000 trip.

    Over the past 10 years i've taken many arcade pictures.

    On 8 Jul 2005 13:20:06 -0700, peter@peterhirschberg.com wrote:

    >The Station Break looks like 1980 (there's Battlezone, Galaxian, and
    >Pacman). The Time Out photos look like from various years. Some have
    >only B&W pong type games and EM machines, so those are mid-early '70s
    >I'd guess. I would put some of the other Time Out photos at around '77
    >(Space Wars and Lemans).
    >
    >-Peter

  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Too bad that they got rid of that Time-Out at the Springfield Mall and
    replaced it with a minature scooter/motorcycle store.

    I still curse that store everytime I pass it....

    bastards...

    "Nate Goulet" <askifyouwantaaddress@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Very cool place, and nice pics.
    >
    > Looks like about 1980 until I saw the Tempest side art & Tron poster.
    >
    > Maybe the pics were taken in different years. There are certainly a
    > lot of games that looked too old to be in an arcade around 1980, and
    > that looks like the type of place that was going for state-of-the-art
    > games, so i'd doubt they would have that many older games in there
    > still.
    >
    > I spent a lot of time in arcades between 1974/5 - present, but never
    > took many pictures. What I would give for pictures of the Dream
    > Machine arcade at Lincoln Mall, which I first started going to around
    > 1974 or 75, before there were any video games except maybe Pong.
    >
    > My Dad did take a video in 1985 of the Grand Prix arcade in Florida.
    > World's largest arcade. His videography isn't too great, but i'd
    > happy to have it just the same. We have another video from the Grix
    > Prix in it's 2nd location around 1988.
    >
    > The Grand Prix was in a castle, and it was pretty cool. You'd see 10+
    > Pacmans in a row, etc. It's still the biggest arcade even now in it's
    > present location, but far from the best anymore.
    >
    > We were able to dig up an 8mm film of me playing Defender at Cedar's
    > Point amusement park in 1981, a quick video shot of Star Castle &
    > Armor Attack at Rocky Point amusement park in 1984, and stuff like
    > that. No pans of the rest of the games. How??
    >
    > I took several pictures from my Jan 2000 trip.
    >
    > Over the past 10 years i've taken many arcade pictures.
    >
    > On 8 Jul 2005 13:20:06 -0700, peter@peterhirschberg.com wrote:
    >
    >>The Station Break looks like 1980 (there's Battlezone, Galaxian, and
    >>Pacman). The Time Out photos look like from various years. Some have
    >>only B&W pong type games and EM machines, so those are mid-early '70s
    >>I'd guess. I would put some of the other Time Out photos at around '77
    >>(Space Wars and Lemans).
    >>
    >>-Peter

  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Holy cow. More pictures have been added. And I swear, this one:

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/petromyzon/24815624/in/set-553223/

    This is of the entrance to "Time Out 2" at Springfield Mall in Virginia
    (see my earlier post). I remember it was right across the hall from Roy
    Rogers, and next to Montgomery Wards - both of which are visible in the
    reflections. I remember the mirrors, neon, and lettering on the
    entrance. *swoon*

    -Peter
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I think Nate was talking about the old 'Castle Park' in Ft. Lauderdale,
    Florida.

    Big Al
    Bradenton,FL
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    hey these pics are bloody awesome.
    anyone know where that INDY 800 is now (or a SPRINT 8 ,check my
    website)
    have been after an 8 player driving game forever
    have another close look at the first group of pics computerspacefan
    i counted 3 computer spaces
    great stuff,thanks
    jeff http://www.pinballswanted.com/
  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Thanks for the heads up Jeff, I missed the third Computer Space. And
    this one is a rare Yellow one!!!
    Hey Peter, do you mind if I use some of those pictures on my website? I
    like to document Computer Space sightings "in the wild" and I'd love to
    add the ones seen in these photos of yours.

    jeffiseverywhere@hotmail.com wrote:
    > hey these pics are bloody awesome.
    > anyone know where that INDY 800 is now (or a SPRINT 8 ,check my
    > website)
    > have been after an 8 player driving game forever
    > have another close look at the first group of pics computerspacefan
    > i counted 3 computer spaces
    > great stuff,thanks
    > jeff http://www.pinballswanted.com/
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I don't mind, but the photos are not mine. I tried to find an email
    address for the album's owner "Petromyzon", but no luck.

    -Peter
  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Dude,

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/petromyzon/24816268/in/set-553223/

    This one looks way too much like the entrance to the original Time-Out at
    Plaza Las Americas shopping center, San Juan, Puerto Rico. My comment is
    based on the fact that the tiles in front of the store have exactly the same
    layout as that of the mall, circa 1980 through 1990.

    If it were in fact the PR store, the pic had to be very early in the store's
    history, as the horsie, carrousel and other kiddie stuff made way for the
    brown change machines and additional games. Also, there's no store promo
    signs at the entrance.

    Thanks for the memories!

    <peter@peterhirschberg.com> wrote in message
    > Stumbled across this (not mine). WOW that's cool. I've been looking for
    > some authentic '80s arcade pictures for a long time. Anybody got any
    > others to share?
    >
    > http://www.flickr.com/photos/petromyzon/sets/553223/
    >
    > Now THAT is what I remember Time-Out at Springfield Mall in Virginia
    > looking like. Man oh man.
    >
    > -Peter

  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Did anyone else notice how BLUE the MsPacman cabinets were in a few of
    the pictures? I have long wondered how blue those were supposed to be,
    since even the really nice ones I have seen now are very much a baby
    blue color.

    Wade
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I have one that was a jumpshot so it's had vinyl over the side art
    since 84 and I was suprised how dark the blue was.
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I'm going to see if I can find them and dig out the slide-tape
    presentation I made in high school. Looking at all the retro pics has
    got me wanting to see it again. Maybe I'll even turn the thing into a
    PowerPoint presentation and put it up on my web site--that is, if the
    tape still plays and if I can even find it now.

    I was just looking through my senior yearbook (1983). Video arcades
    were the theme of the yearbook that year--there's even a quarter pasted
    onto the front cover (which has a drawing of an arcade machine on it).
    There are a few vintage arcade pics in there. I remember that the
    yearbook staff had a bunch of the video game addicts (of which I was
    one) accompany them to Quarters arcade in White Marsh Mall (near
    Baltimore, MD) to do a picture shoot. They gave all of us a few bucks
    in quarters. Obviously, I did not decline. :-)

    -Dave Ellis
    http://www.davesclassicarcade.com
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    peter@peterhirschberg.com wrote:
    > I don't mind, but the photos are not mine. I tried to find an email
    > address for the album's owner "Petromyzon", but no luck.

    If you create a free flickr account, you can send a message to another
    uer. That might be a way to get in touch with him.

    brian

Games Video World Of Warcraft Video Games