Tempest troubles

Allright, I was up till 4am last night, so cut me some slack. Was working
on a tempest. Had J9 and J6 hooked up in the wrong spot. Powered on and
blew F4 and F5 fuses. Pulled the AR board, replaced the fuses, and put in
what I thought was a good AR board. Turns out I put the same AR board right
back in. Game powered up. Some noise from the speakers, then a sizzle from
the board and spot killer on the monitor. So, AR board bad, PCB now bad.
Put in known good AR board and PCB and all works fine. Any idea where to
start on the boards I fried?

Chuk <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote:
: Allright, I was up till 4am last night, so cut me some slack. Was working
: on a tempest. Had J9 and J6 hooked up in the wrong spot. Powered on and
: blew F4 and F5 fuses. Pulled the AR board, replaced the fuses, and put in
: what I thought was a good AR board. Turns out I put the same AR board right
: back in. Game powered up. Some noise from the speakers, then a sizzle from
: the board and spot killer on the monitor. So, AR board bad, PCB now bad.
: Put in known good AR board and PCB and all works fine. Any idea where to
: start on the boards I fried?

Start with stinky burned-smelling part of the board! :)

Start by finding out what the AR2 was sending to the board after it fried,
and the wrong voltages should at least show you were to expect the blown
components to be.

--
Mark Spaeth mspaeth@mtl.mit.edu
50 Vassar St., #38.265 mspaeth@mit.edu

Check all the voltage regulators on the black metal heatsink. Big silver one
screwed down in the middle handles +5 and on the side is +12 and -5v. link
the +sense to +5v output and the - sense to ground you will find loads of
info on this mod on google. After you have done this plug the AR board back
in but don't plug the connector that feeds the pcb back in. Take readings
and see which voltages are missing/high and go from there. Also check
the -22 and +22v at the far end (4 diodes)